What do you prefer - Shipping or No Shipping?

What do you prefer when looking at animal prices in classifieds or websites?

• I like shipping to be INCLUDED in the advertised price.

Votes: 53 50.5%
  • I prefer shipping to be SEPARATE from the advertised price.

Votes: 34 32.4%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 18 17.1%

• Total voters

godzillizard

I agree that the shipping should be included if the gecko is $300 or more. I paid $78 to ship a pair of geckos via fedex overnight just a couple weeks ago--plus the cost of the insulated box, cool packs, etc. It's getting to the point were I simply can't afford to continue in the hobby anymore :(

Gecko Ranch

The way I have shipping is that it pops in the shopping cart on my website and is maxed at $46.50. I also have a message at the end of the order so folks understand gecko shipping carries a $46.50 cost so it is clear. On my leo page it states on the top that shipping for 1-4 leopard geckos to the lower 48 is $46.50. Folks don't complain about it, I think they just don't purchase the gecko(s) and I never see their order. ;)

I also got a kick out of the person who saw the padding that some big online stores charge after you pay their ultra-cheep price for the item. :main_laugh:
My padding is $1.00 or less. I figure my skills are worth that much. ;)

D

downthebeatenpath

I prefer it seperate as well in case I order more than one animal, which is usually the case when I order on line. Also the cheapest I have ever seen shipping is $35 for fed-ex overnight, so that's probably the lowest you would have to pay without going through USPS.

G

Geckophoria

bohannbj said:
Ok I think someone is a little upset with me. If I may give some personal experiences. First I have shipped more coral than geckos, but it costs me around $45 to ship 2 1/2 lbs (roughly) UPS or FED and the boxes arrived in terrible condition (shipped in fully contained styrofoam). This stuff is like a cooler you buy from wal-mart. The USPS shipment of seahorses were fine and the FED-Ex all died. I have also had 3 packages from UPS/DHL/FED arrive a day late. I called about the problem and they refunded the shippers money; not mine; even though it was really my money. As a seller I will ship whatever you want, but I will still offer USPS until they treat me like the others have. And with all do respect, because I here nothing but great stuff about your business, but how does the package weigh four pounds for a gecko.

For one, Marsha said dimensional weight of 4#. Second of all, if you add the weight of the box, styrofoam, cold/heat pack and a pair of Leachies or a pair of Uroplatus fimbriatus, you can get quite near 4# anyway. As far as the Seahorses go, as was mentioned, USPS keeps the packages in the cargo hold where it gets mighty cold. And if my experience has not completely rotted my brain, don't you generally keep Seahorses in a reef tank with a chiller? Just as you would with live rock and corals? So yes, USPS may be what works for you concerning aquatics, but for those of us who have been using FedEx and UPS, it serves our purposes much better than USPS. So to each there own.

I have had customers insist on their animals being shipped USPS. I have done so by their request and have not lost any aninals on arrival, but still do not offer to ship by USPS. As for when you had packages arrive late, you should have contact the shipper for refund of shipping costs. I have had that happen only one time. I simply called FedEx, they said sorry sir and refunded the shipping cost. In turn I refunded my customer his shipping cost. I do not "pad" my shipping quote, I just simply round up to the nearest dollar.

Last edited by a moderator:

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
I didn't think USPS guaranteed overnight delivery at all, and that's what's most important to me. UPS and FedEx may screw up and get it there a day late due to problems out of their control; but I still feel more comfortable shipping through them than USPS, just because it seems to me they would be more likely to take 2-3 days to send a gecko (which is unacceptable). I can accept it when there are transit problems (and of course that still sucks), but to knowingly ship a gecko that could take 2-3 days is something I just couldn't do.

This is a great topic because we were wondering the same. I have always preferred the shipping to be seperate msyelf, but can see why others wouldn't.

Last edited:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
If I was to include shipping in the price of my geckos, that would not be fair for someone who wanted to buy more than one, because I can get up to 4 geckos in a shipping box at the same shipping rate as one.

EchoPet

Gecko Obsessed
I prefer shipping to be separate. If/when I order geckos from online, I plan on ordering more than one and would feel very ripped off to pay individual shipping on each.

leonut

I like pangea reps way of adding shipping. They have you add it to the cart after you order your reptiles.

Quantumhigh

Geckos of Oz
I think you may be right, for the most part. I would say if i was going to buy a low dollar animals. Let say a tremper for $25 i would think it would be better to have the shipping seprate. That way if i do buy 3 then i can add in the cost. I just woudln't pay $50 shipping for 1 $25. However if i buy a high dollar animal, lets say an animal that is worth $1,000 or more, i want the shipping for free. I probably woudn't even buy it if they wanted me to pay the extra money, i would fell robbed. I can't say it is a big deal to me either way though. sschind said,

Agreed. Id say it depend on the cost of the animal... $1000 animal free shipping; $25 animal shipping cost seprate. Just how someone will go 5 miles out of there way for a $9.99 product for the same thing $10 right next door. All about maketing and how you pitch your sale.

Visit our friends