What is this?

New gecko mom

So my little guy Rango is just about 1 year old and I've noticed these weird "pockets" of something by his underarms. Does anyone know what this is? My other leo doesn't have it.

Attachments

• 20210722_203432.jpg
    20210722_203432.jpg
    940.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210722_203441.jpg
    20210722_203441.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210722_203452.jpg
    20210722_203452.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

thesquidworm

it could be that he got injured under his arms and is therefore trying to hold them in the least painful way possible?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's the yellow frost geckos that have been known to have tumors. Not the gecko you have. In my opinion the underarm pockets are harmless. There have been different theories about why these pockets develop including too much calcium, ready to breed, overweight . . . I don't know why they get them but it's not a big deal in my opinion (others may differ).

Aliza

New gecko mom

It's the yellow frost geckos that have been known to have tumors. Not the gecko you have. In my opinion the underarm pockets are harmless. There have been different theories about why these pockets develop including too much calcium, ready to breed, overweight . . . I don't know why they get them but it's not a big deal in my opinion (others may differ).

Aliza
Thank you! Do you by chance know what kind of leo mine is?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You can call yours a "high yellow". That means that there are fewer spots (though not so few that it would be called a "hypo") which means that you can see a lot of the base yellow coloring.

Aliza

Rydikulus Reptiles

Hi!

So personally I have seen this numerous times. Your gecko does like quite heavy. Pockets of fat or calcium buildup typically form under the arms as a sign of obesity. I don't think it's as serious as a tumor, but if you are worried, a visit to your local exotic vet wouldn't hurt!

I suggest cutting down on any high-fat insects and feeding less/less often to see if you notice any improvement. High fat insects include superworms and wax worms. There are several others you should avoid, if you have any questions feel free to DM me!

Also feel free to visit the Rydikulus Reptiles Facebook page! Our "Files" tab has a lot of valuable information on leopard gecko care and husbandry that is well organized and easy to understand!

-Rai

New gecko mom

Hi!

So personally I have seen this numerous times. Your gecko does like quite heavy. Pockets of fat or calcium buildup typically form under the arms as a sign of obesity. I don't think it's as serious as a tumor, but if you are worried, a visit to your local exotic vet wouldn't hurt!

I suggest cutting down on any high-fat insects and feeding less/less often to see if you notice any improvement. High fat insects include superworms and wax worms. There are several others you should avoid, if you have any questions feel free to DM me!

Also feel free to visit the Rydikulus Reptiles Facebook page! Our "Files" tab has a lot of valuable information on leopard gecko care and husbandry that is well organized and easy to understand!

-Rai
Thank you! In your opinion, what is the best diet for my leos?

Rydikulus Reptiles

Thank you! In your opinion, what is the best diet for my leos?
Hi! I definitely would recommend a varied insect-only diet for leopard geckos. Dubia roaches, grass hoppers, hornworms, and silk worms are great staple foods for leopard geckos. Make sure you are dusting your insects with calcium (WITH D3) every other feeding, and try not to overfeed.

Since it seems as though you have an adult, I'd say feed every two days just to help your baby lose some of that chunk! I have a comprehensive list of appropriate feeder insects in my group on Facebook as well, so feel free to take a look!

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reach out :)

Have a great day!

- Rai

Visit our friends