What multivitamin should i dust my mealworms and crickets with????

Kimjorg

HerpCare cricket dust

We use HerpCare Cricket dust and so far so good we have never had a problem and all of our leos are very fat, happy and most importantly healthy Here's a picture of 2 of them named Xena and Wiggles

xena.jpg

100_0614.jpg

Last edited:

Ian S.

Herptivite is an excellent multivitamin. It's east to find and uses beta carotene in place of vitamine A

preacherman

Gecko Genetics
If you plan on breeding, then I would suggest using a mulitvitamin that has actual vitamin A in it. Some breeders that have used multivitamins that rely on beta carotene to supply required vitamin A have had problems with deformities in their hatchlings (primarily underdeveloped eyelids). We have used Osteoform with great results. Also, if you feed mealworms you can just provide a small dish full of vitamins in the enclosure at all time. The geckos will consume what they need.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I may be one of the few that doesn't use Herptivite, but I've got no problems with it. My leos are thriving on supers and mealworms gut loaded with Cody's Pro Gutload and a dusting of Leopard Gecko ICB. Hatchlings get the same CPG loaded mealies, but get Vionate at all times instead of the ICB.

Ian S.

Some breeders that have used multivitamins that rely on beta carotene to supply required vitamin A have had problems with deformities in their hatchlings (primarily underdeveloped eyelids)
Actually thats not pinned down or etched in stone that this is in fact true. As a matter of fact for four years previous to this year, all I used was herptivite multi vitamin and rep cal with and without d3. Last breeding season I cut way back on my use of herptivite multivitamin in fear of vitamin A toxicity from all the riff raff I read about it. Low and behold this year I hatched out three with eyelid deformities. Two offspring which were from a first time pairing and actually today another hatched out from a pairing that I bred last season and hatched out a perfect 100% rate from a dozen eggs without any deformities at all. Personally I believe it may just be the opposite (not enough multivitimin supplimentation). Last year I also started using miner-all 1 formula on the leos. So personally either of the two are suspect. I'm quickly disregaurding the miner-all 1 formula since so many breeders have used it with no ill effects.

Last edited:

Bert-N-Sheila

DOT COM JUNKIES
could someone tell me what 'morph?' kimjorg's bottom leo pic is? we have a female that looks EXACTLY like it except ours has all black eyes...she is an adult and we wondered why they still had her, as she is very nice???. weird thing is we bought her from petco ON SALE for $15.99(wrong tag was listed but still gave it to us for that price)

shes very healthy looking and very very plump tail. will post pics soon. but in the meantime any ideas?

(sorry, we're new to this) :)

Last edited:

Stitch

Bert-N-Sheila said:
could someone tell me what 'morph?' kimjorg's bottom leo pic is? we have a female that looks EXACTLY like it except ours has all black eyes...she is an adult and we wondered why they still had her, as she is very nice???. weird thing is we bought her from petco ON SALE for $15.99(wrong tag was listed but still gave it to us for that price)

shes very healthy looking and very very plump tail. will post pics soon. but in the meantime any ideas?

(sorry, we're new to this) :)

I also replied to your PM but I have some things to add.

She may be an old breeder and not reproducing like she used to. And for the most part Petco doesn't deal a whole lot with morphs so they could have missed the fact that she has eclipse eyes.

Bert-N-Sheila

DOT COM JUNKIES
Thanks for the PM replies fellas. :)

I will post pics as soon as possible. We have a cam but cannot find the USB wire. She def has 100% solid black eyes.

As much as I have read about PetCO being bad the last few weeks, I can say that they have a guy who is 24 hours on call for strictly geckos. So maybe it was his? Hmm... will let you all know soon and with pics soon!

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
I use:

Vionate (has a little D3)
Reptivite (has D3, vit a and calcium)
Herptivite (No D3 and beta carotene for Vit A, no calicium)
Mierall O (No D3)
Mineral I (Has D3)

I use reptivite more than herptivite due to price, herptivite is !7.95 for 3.2 ounces and reptivite is $16.40 for 2lbs

I just swtich it up each time I fill up the mealie dish but I use vionate all the time, I put a teaspoon of vionate in the dish then one of the others as the dust on the mealies and just rotate them so they don't get any one of them all of the time.

I also add Osteo Form to the dish too for calcium.

Visit our friends