What the fuck is going on???

Gregg M

Registered Member
This is a somewhat serious thread...

Seriously, what the hell is going on with some of these "breeders"??? I mean the ones that we thought were good, ethical, and cared about the animals and customers...

Over the past couple of years (more so now) I have seen a growing trend of good breeders turning into dirtbags... Is it because of the economy??? I dont get it... It seems that some people can not stay good and honest anymore... These are some very sad days in the hobby...

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Gregg, I think it has to do more with the number of people breeding geckos now. I'm not necessarily sure there are a greater percentage of 'dirtbags', there are just more of them now because there are more people out there working with reptiles. Also, I truly think there are w-a-a-y to many people breeding because they think they will make loads of money, and they overbreed. When they realize the reality, they need to dump all of them and it becomes cut-throat.

I see what your saying Gregg. And I for one don't want that rep. on my shoulders. I am still a really small fish is this big pond and if anyone has any issues with me or my animals. Call me out right here or email me and ask for my phone number. I have been part of a few different hobbies and know for a fact that your rep. means as much if not more than what you produce. If you sell a few bad animals or screw a few people over, you are scum to the whole hobby. Oh and by the way, I left my other hobbies with a good name. As for your question Gregg. I think maybe a few people might be struggling because of the ecomony and trying to just make ends meat and missing the big picture of what there really doing to there self. I don't know that for a fact, just what I think might be happening. I am interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on this to.

S

SteveB

I don't think people change, they simply get too confident in the strength of existing public perception and let down their guard.

KelliH

Gregg, I think it has to do more with the number of people breeding geckos now. I'm not necessarily sure there are a greater percentage of 'dirtbags', there are just more of them now because there are more people out there working with reptiles. Also, I truly think there are w-a-a-y to many people breeding because they think they will make loads of money, and they overbreed. When they realize the reality, they need to dump all of them and it becomes cut-throat.

I agree with Marcia, overproduction is a big problem. Right now is not a good time to produce over 500 leos per season. I've personally cut way back on my breeders and probably won't produce more than 300 babies this year which is fine and dandy with me. :main_yes:

Gregg M

Registered Member
I am not talking about the new "nobodies" or the already known scumbags... I am talking about the people who I thought were good at one time but have shown they are not who we thought they were... I could name a couple spacifically but now is not the time even though this is the place...

I know times are tough now but there are some basic things that should never change no matter how rough it gets these days... Its not the undercutting prices in a flooded market that is bothering me... That is bound to happen and something we all have to adjust to... It has to do with websites changing their terms/guaranttees after a bad deal and not doing good on a deal after it did not pan out as it should have... My beef and reason for this thread is basically just aimed at breeders who are not doing the right thing by their customers...

It is just very disappointing to me...

Last edited:
S

SteveB

Gregg, I am pretty sure I know what you're posting this in regards to... and I think Marcia's post applies...

People seem to follow the same pattern... buy a lot of $1000+ leo projects, get very aggressive about defending the high prices, lose money hand over fist, and then expand into ball pythons... people tend to start showing their true colors after enough years of holding onto and feeding thousands of dollars worth of animals and watching their profit margin go down.

Visit our friends