• Paper

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Paper towel

Votes: 160 39.7%
  • Others. (please state)

Votes: 58 14.4%

• Total voters

Rooster

For those that use coco fiber, do the leos need to be a certain size before using the coco? I have young leos ranging from one to three months old. Do I need to worry about impaction using coco? Thanks!

KTyne

Kayla
I use Spaghnum Moss in my humid hides as my Leo love to dig into it and it seems to hold moisture and is less messy than using Coco Fiber or anything which I find gets really dusty when it starts to break down.

Embrace Calamity

For those that use coco fiber, do the leos need to be a certain size before using the coco? I have young leos ranging from one to three months old. Do I need to worry about impaction using coco? Thanks!
I doubt it. Impaction generally happens when the substrate is accidentally ingested while catching food (except calcium sand, which is ingested to get calcium that they're lacking), so as long as you don't feed them in there, it should be fine. Though I'd imagine even small amounts of coco fiber would be able to be passed. I use coco fiber in mine and my girl's only a few months old. She seems to really prefer it to the paper towels I used before.

~Maggot

SC Geckos

I have used coco fiber for several years with no issues however, I perfer to use it only for my females once they get to around 30 grams or larger. I dont use it on my hatchlings or very young geckos only because it is easier IMO to keep the hide clean using paper towels. Baby leos are little poop machines and its hard to see it in the coco fiber.

Rooster

Thanks for all your responses guys. And good point about the baby leos being poop machines. I've been using paper towels and it seems like coco would do a better job. You can get huge blocks of coco much cheaper at plant stores/nurseries.

cassicat4

Is it true that females won't lay eggs if their moist hide is paper towel?

I used to use sphagnum moss for all of my moist hides until I caught my female eating it for no apparent reason (she's not fed with it in her enclosure) so I switched to paper towel.

lisa127

Is it true that females won't lay eggs if their moist hide is paper towel?

I used to use sphagnum moss for all of my moist hides until I caught my female eating it for no apparent reason (she's not fed with it in her enclosure) so I switched to paper towel.
Yes, the females need something other than paper towels in order to lay eggs. Years ago when I was breeding I used vermiculite in the humid hides and the females laid their eggs in there. But I used vermiculite for all my humid hides back then, both male and female. Nowadays, I only have one leo (male). I use new zealand sphagnum moss in his humid hide (because I always have it on hand for my box turtle). If he ever starts eating it as yours did, I will probably try cocoa fiber. He's never shown any interest in tasting it so far though.

Lindz0518

I just switched from sphagnum moss to cocoa fiber, it seems to hold moisture better so far. I would just use paper towels but I am worried that even though she has never been around males that my girl may lay the odd egg here and there and don't want to her to get egg bound. It's my understanding that they can lay infertile eggs from time to time.

cassicat4

Yes, the females need something other than paper towels in order to lay eggs. Years ago when I was breeding I used vermiculite in the humid hides and the females laid their eggs in there. But I used vermiculite for all my humid hides back then, both male and female. Nowadays, I only have one leo (male). I use new zealand sphagnum moss in his humid hide (because I always have it on hand for my box turtle). If he ever starts eating it as yours did, I will probably try cocoa fiber. He's never shown any interest in tasting it so far though.

Ok thanks - I just wasn't sure if they were like other gecko species who would lay eggs on paper towel if the need arose.

Coco fiber or soil will probably be the way I go then. I've always heard horror stories about vermiculite so didn't want to try that.

proBie3

I've been using paper towel but recently switched to eco-earth for my little guy, I take the humid hide out during feeding time so no crickets get in there and to reduce risk of accidental ingestion of the coco fiber.

NikkiC223

I've been using paper towel but recently switched to eco-earth for my little guy, I take the humid hide out during feeding time so no crickets get in there and to reduce risk of accidental ingestion of the coco fiber.

Do you buy the coco fiber in a bag or the one that is pressed into a block at local pet stores? I would like to try some in my leo's humid hide but didn't want to buy the big block they sell...do you know if they sell it in a bag that a smaller amount?

lisa127

Do you buy the coco fiber in a bag or the one that is pressed into a block at local pet stores? I would like to try some in my leo's humid hide but didn't want to buy the big block they sell...do you know if they sell it in a bag that a smaller amount?
They do sell it in bags, but for the bag it is the same price as 3 bricks. Try the hermit crab section of your petstore. They usually sell it for them in small discs that make much less. And those discs are usually about $1.50.

proBie3

I just buy it in the 3 bricks, I have a fairly good area for all of my supplies but it is also kind of a hassle having to have a huge bag full of coco fiber bricks.

I only use humus, have made ​​it the best experience.

1k3uh7.jpg

541707_56273574045658a1upa.jpg

regards

Herpluver

Eco Earth in some and Sphagnum Moss in 2 of my girls that seem to prefer it.. based off the fact they never used the hide when it had Eco Earth in it, but now I find them sleeping in it with the Sphagnum Moss

kingkung

i use the moss here. Btw what do you guys use for a moist hide? i know many people, including me just use old tupperware and stuff but it seems like such an eyesore and it throws off the whole look of the terrarium. Anyone got a cheaper alternative? Or am i doomed to always use a land-o-lakes container....

I use coco fiber in mine. I used to use a Tupperware container but got sick of looking at it so I coughed up $25 and got the exo terra gecko cave. Works great as humid hide for me and large is plenty of room for 2 Leo's.

It's the hide in the middle

IMAG0077-2.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE

Visit our friends