What's the deal with Auriculatus?

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
So I've been hearing some talk that Rhacodactylus auriculatus is going to be re-classified as a member of Eurydactylodes, and the species will be split into several different species. Does anyone have any more information on what the changes to aurics actually are? Thanks!

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
I guess it was brought up by Aaron Bauer during his "New Caledonian Geckos: Making Sense of 40 New Species" speech at the gecko gathering that Nathan Hall put together.

There's some talk about it here, but nothing too specific about aurics.

Here's the quote from page 1 that suprised me:
chahoua said:
R. auriculatus will also be moved from Rhacodactylus, and have a couple new species. The same holds true for R. ciliatus and sarasinorum, which will be in a new genus of their own.

I guess that means that cresteds and gargoyles and saras will be move out of Rhacodactylus, but I still haven't found any more information, and I was hoping someone here had. Also, here's a thread for a new species and genus of New Caledonian geckos: http://www.geckosunlimited.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4077

M

Melle

I was wondering the same thing, I heard about it a few weeks ago on one of the other forums but didnt get a whole lot of info about it... sure sounds interesting!

T

Tokays_Unlimited

Well thats the way it goes with new species.I figured that some Rhacs would get reclassified at some point.It happens all the time with various species.I have noticed it alot with some Tarentola sp. also.:(

John N

JCN Reptiles
It happens... I know it happens a lot with King snakes. Doesn't bother me tho because I normally use common names lol.

T

Tokays_Unlimited

Well maybe it will be added to the embl database at some time.Who knows..lol.

Visit our friends