Where do you get your Mealworms?

geckoTN

I am looking at starting a mealworm colony for my chickens and soon to be leo. Does anyone know of a good place to get mealworms from on the east coast? Looking online the majority of places are in California and (Call me cheap) but I don't want to pay ton for shipping of mealworms.

CrestieFan1

I got mine from Rainbow mealworms. Not exactly sure where they're located though.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

geckoTN

Looks like they are in California. If the mealworms made it to you alive I should have a decent chance. I may give it a shot. They seem to be well priced.

indyana

Yeah, I do Rainbow Mealworms also. Shipping cost for live insects is always high unfortunately. Some people breed their own feeders, but personally, I've had a terrible time with grain mites. Just not worth the hassle for mealworms... lol

I do keep my own colony of dubia roaches though, and that saves a bit of money.

doublet74

Try Camillies Vita Mealies. Great people shipping is included in price. Prices are higher than average BUT remember you get what you pay for. Their Mealies are GREAT highly active.

geckoTN

I ended up ordering from Rainbow Mealworms on Thursday. I found a 10% off coupon and the order was about $20 for 3k mealworms and basic shipping. To my surprise they arrived in Tennessee on Saturday. All but one mealworm was alive. That is a pretty good survival rate IMO.

I appreciate every ones suggestions!

wicked gecko

Yeah I just got 3k from rainbow mealworms about 2 weeks ago. I live in NW WI and they made it to me fast and healthy also. Using some of them to start breeding also so see how it goes.

Visit our friends