White on Uromastyx's face????

bjleemkuil

I need some help if I could..

My friend has a Uromastyx that is a little neglected (greens are left out, never messed with, waste all over his underside) when I don't do anything with him. I noticed today that he has a build up of what looks like a white fungus or mold of some sort (looks like it, not sure if it is). I washed it off as soon as I saw it, but can anyone tell me what that's from?

bjleemkuil

it's not a very good one at all (Cell phone picture :( ) But maybe some form of software can make it clearer?

1289184440.jpg

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
can't really tell from the pic. Could be salt buildup, could be stuck shed, could be fungal. Hard to say without an in-focus pic.

triplegex

I'm nearly 100% sure it's salt. Get a slightly damp Q tip and see if it'll come off, if it does it's salt

bjleemkuil

I'm nearly 100% sure it's salt. Get a slightly damp Q tip and see if it'll come off, if it does it's salt

I was able to get it off completely when I cleaned him off earlier, but from pictures of the "snalt" that I have seen it's strictly around the nostrils, but could have been overlooked for a while and built up?

maggiee22195

Sorry, my post was wrong. I did not mean to mis-inform you. I thought that is what I remembered. But I realized that it was the wrong thing I remembered. I am really sorry about that. I forgot that it does mean that there is a excessive amount of salt in the diet. So, again, I apologize. They will rub it off by themselves most of the time. you can do what you did though and clean it off too! But it isn't anything to be concerned about. Are you feeding romain lettuce? It could also be because of the higher potassium in romaine lettuce! Good luck with your little guy!!!

Last edited:

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
My friend has a Uromastyx that is a little neglected (greens are left out, never messed with, waste all over his underside)

That is not "a little neglected" that is seriously neglected and bordering on abused. It is not being given veggies... the majority, almost the entirety of its diet should be veggies... that is absolutely and without question neglect.

The temperatures are probably screwed up too, they often are even with people who aren't flagrantly ignoring the requirements of the species.

This should be fixed, if it is not already too late.

They have the salt build up because it is how they quench their thirst. They eat their greens and the salt builds up and they lick their noses when they are thirsty... That is what I know from having my mali uromastyx. It is always a build up around their nose.

... you make me wish I had a button on my keyboard that would allow me to remotely electrocute people. Not to death, but someone needs to put a shock collar on you and treat you to a little bit of Skinner's negative behavioral reinforcement so you stop posting things like that.

Nasal expulsion of salts results from excess salt in the diet, salt above and beyond the dietary requirements of the animal. They do not lick it when they are thirsty (how in the hell would licking salt fix that exactly?), they are not saving it for later. I have no idea where the hell you got that idea but you are wrong and you need to stop posting ignorant crap because there might theoretically be someone who is not knowledgeable enough to spot how little you know. When you spout off like this, it just means someone else has to come along and correct you, to reeducate anybody you may have spoken to. You make more work for other people because you seem to be too thick to comprehend just how little knowledge you actually have.

And once again, I am staggered by how you had- past tense- an animal and don't have it any more. What happened to your Uromastyx? They can live for sixty-ninety years and you're seventeen... so where the hell is yours? Did you kill it or did you get bored of it and get rid of it in favor of the next shiny thing to catch your attention? Either way you need to slow the hell down and either dedicate yourself to doing things the right way or find a new hobby. Ours does not need pig-ignorant temporary owners buying animals, being stupid and making a nuisance of themselves. A game boy and a copy of pokemon perhaps, something that encourages you to obtain its focus, get bored and go find something new to keep your interest for a little while over and over again. Not live animals of any kind though.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
That is not "a little neglected" that is seriously neglected and bordering on abused. It is not being given veggies... the majority, almost the entirety of its diet should be veggies... that is absolutely and without question neglect.

The temperatures are probably screwed up too, they often are even with people who aren't flagrantly ignoring the requirements of the species.

... you make me wish I had a button on my keyboard that would allow me to remotely electrocute people. Not to death, but someone needs to put a shock collar on you and treat you to a little bit of Skinner's negative behavioral reinforcement so you stop posting things like that.

Nasal expulsion of salts results from excess salt in the diet, salt above and beyond the dietary requirements of the animal. They do not lick it when they are thirsty (how in the hell would licking salt fix that exactly?), they are not saving it for later. I have no idea where the hell you got that idea but you are wrong and you need to stop posting ignorant crap because there might theoretically be someone who is not knowledgeable enough to spot how little you know. When you spout off like this, it just means someone else has to come along and correct you, to reeducate anybody you may have spoken to. You make more work for other people because you seem to be too thick to comprehend just how little knowledge you actually have.

And once again, I am staggered by how you had- past tense- an animal and don't have it any more. What happened to your Uromastyx? They can live for sixty-ninety years and you're seventeen... so where the hell is yours? Did you kill it or did you get bored of it and get rid of it in favor of the next shiny thing to catch your attention? Either way you need to slow the hell down and either dedicate yourself to doing things the right way or find a new hobby. Ours does not need pig-ignorant temporary owners buying animals, being stupid and making a nuisance of themselves. A game boy and a copy of pokemon perhaps, something that encourages you to obtain its focus, get bored and go find something new to keep your interest for a little while over and over again. Not live animals of any kind though.

+1

jerry

All I Need Is My Leo ONYX

+2

Salt4Sam

Beardies and Uromastyx

Nothing like some positive criticism, huh? Where do you get off speaking to people this way?? Nobody here is you child, or your student. We are all on here because of a common interest and because we all want to learn from one another. You could have very easily corrected this statement with a few sentences. Instead, YOU spout off and insult someones knowledge, age, and overall, just make yourself out to look like a jerk. I understand your passion for these animals, but when you go out of your way to insult someone, you put away that passion and just make yourself out to be completely over-excessive.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Nothing like some positive criticism, huh? Where do you get off speaking to people this way?? Nobody here is you child, or your student. We are all on here because of a common interest and because we all want to learn from one another. You could have very easily corrected this statement with a few sentences. Instead, YOU spout off and insult someones knowledge, age, and overall, just make yourself out to look like a jerk. I understand your passion for these animals, but when you go out of your way to insult someone, you put away that passion and just make yourself out to be completely over-excessive.

You obviously are not familiar with Seamus. :main_laugh:

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law

I had broken this quote down and written a few line by line responses, but figured it'd be smoother to just write a single one that sort of addresses the whole thing.

First, I think it may be important to point out that my tone and my approach is always tailored to the individual audience I am addressing. Many people respond well to a casual, positive kind of conversation and when that is the case, that is what they get from me, should they catch my interest. Some people do not, and are incapable of learning until they are given a bit of a kick in the ass, to make them realize that the need is present.

You happened to catch a post- and it is not isolated by any means, I make a lot of each kind in various places- where I was speaking to someone that has shown, time and time again, that they are unable or unwilling to respond to a soft approach. The second half of it anyway, the first was pretty neutral since the person I was responding to had not shown themselves incapable of learning, as the person in the second half has proved to be.

Secondly and more importantly, bad information should always be challenged. Anyone who takes the time to write a post with the intention of being informative has a responsibility to undertake some reasonable level of fact checking. When someone writes something that if blatantly incorrect, just flat out wrong, they are doing a disservice to any readers who might not have enough information to identify and reject misinformation.

Mistakes happen, many such posts are made in good faith based on what someone thinks they remember or what they learned from another source. When such mistakes are infrequent and when the person making them is open to discussion, correction is quick and easy.

Maggiee there has recently managed to violate both of those requirements for polite correction. Her misinformation is constant and frequent, her response when corrected is combative and stubborn. She does not respond well to a gentle redirection- and since she persists in causing a problem, I decided to stop being gentle. Her post was wrong and frankly more than a little stupid, as have been many of her posts recently* and the mild approach taken by others has not changed her habits in the least. So I intend to abuse her of the notion that she is an informational authority, to point out every mistake, to shine a spotlight on every bad practice, bad advice and wrong thing she says, until she stops trying to be one and does what she should be doing... which is shutting up and learning. Reduce 'em to a basic state where they are acutely aware of their own ignorance and they end up ready to absorb information. It is a sort of intellectual boot camp approach.

It was a proportional response. It just requires a little more familiarity with the background of the person it was directed at.

It's okay if you want to think of me as a jerk though. I can certainly be one, when I think I have a reason to be. Just so long as you never think of me as a directionless jerk, it is always jerkery with a purpose.

*and I don't open most the threads here, just the few that catch my attention with interesting titles

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
You'll find Sam that Seamus generally doesn't go on that brutal a tirade with out it being warranted hon... he's honest, brutally honest, and a bloody brilliant when it comes to herps (and apparently the laws behind behavior modification as well ;) ) imo.

For the op hopefully you got what you needed regarding the white stuff on the uros nose :)

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
For the op hopefully you got what you needed regarding the white stuff on the uros nose :)

The more important part of it, really.

Salt buildup is common but without a clearer photo or seeing the animal in person, it is difficult to ID that as the cause for the white appearance.

I am pretty serious about the neglect angle though, if the animal is not being given a proper diet, is being housed with a lot of its own feces and ignored- it should definitely be... fixed. Taken from the friend in some fashion and cleaned up; fix the diet, fix the environment it is kept in. It can take reptiles awhile to die from certain kinds of neglect, they often linger while malnutrition and inadequate temperatures and lighting slowly waste them away if they are ignored. There is generally a point of no return past which nothing can really be done, but if this uro is not there yet then I'd definitely suggest a lot of TLC and at least a checkup with a vet to get some more specific direction for a bit of rehabilitation.

Last edited:

Visit our friends