Why are some geckos our 'favorites'?

Why are some of your geckos more 'special' than others?

• All of my geckos are equally special.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Their market value or cost.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Their potential for breeding purposes.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Their color or pattern.

Votes: 39 29.8%
  • Their character or personality.

Votes: 82 62.6%
  • Sentimental reasons.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I dunno... just a 'connection'.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • I don't have emotional attachments to my geckos.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other. (Please explain)

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I have a LOT of geckos, and although all of them are special to me, there are some that are my favorites. I have a stronger emotional attachment to some more than others. Do you? Why?

PrototypeGeckos

I do have a couple of those myself, its just some of them have a dog-like mentality and just seem to enjoy all the attention they can get, when you clean their tub it just seems as if they don't want to go back, I think that is what makes a few of them more enjoyable than the rest.

yellermelon

Rockin the Suburbs
I have one in particular. emotional and all, then I have all of my "originals" in wich I could never sell, or trade. Included in those is my first hatchling. So yes a few are more special than others!

T

TWC

different reasons. my firsts personality isnt that great, but he is my first and i would never get rid of him. i have a newer one that is so sweet, and nice that loves to be held, and she is my favorite. another one that just likes everybody, and he is also my favorite. my most beautiful one is a diva, and i might keep her for breeding, or sell her. i really dont like her all that much, she growls and attacks me when i try to change the water or anything. i have 26 of them, and only a few favorites. the others are just ones i will be breeding and selling. i try not to get too attached to some of them for selling purposes, but some just really shine, and i would never get rid of them.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I have a couple of geckos that I love for sentimental reasons... like an offspring of one of my geckos, or one I got from someone I care about or for a special reason (birthday?), or one I rescued that I was able to rehabilitate. Some that come to mind are Lola (Flaming Janis) that my husband bought secretly from Kelli for my birthday several years ago, or Libby my rescue that became the founding mother of all my Hybinos. Or Black-eyed Pea, a solid black-eyed rescue... or Legacy, my first Enigma.

I have others that are my 'favorites" because of their character or personality, like the ones that are so sweet and just chill when you handle them... or ones that are little funny characters like Lenae, a darling little jungle Bell I got from Paul Allen when she was only 8 grams, or Louie my sweet (not evil) boy Blizzard, or Louise my beautiful, gentle bold stripe het Bell from Xavier, or Lulu my first little booger baby from Moms & Pops... the pair I got from Robin.

Then there are some, that for some unknown reason that I just 'clicked' with, like love at first site... Luna, my beautiful Super Snow girl I got from John Mack at Daytona a few years ago. I saw lots of SS's, but for some reason when I laid eyes on her I was totally smitten. My heart still gets fluttery when I hold her and look at her lovely face. Lawrence, my Enigma het Bell that I saw at Kelli's, and when I held him I knew he would be my boy.

I love ALL my geckos. There are some, that will be with me for always...

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If I get a new gecko (which doesn't happen very often) it may be my favorite for awhile, but the ones that last as favorites are the ones with personality who like attention.

Aliza

Sandra

I chose 'Sentimental reasons'. My favourite is my first gecko, a normal female. She doesn't have stunning colors or is especially friendly (I got some good bites of her, ouch...) but she is my first, after all. [cheesiness]We've gone through many things in this three years I've had her. For me she's the most beautiful leo in the world and wouldn't change my princess for anything.[/cheesiness]

moosassah

Our jungle female is so much more friendly, calm & sweeter than our normal male. He's not evil, but you need to be really on your toes to handle him. My boys are intimidated by his speed. I am too, but I keep trying with hopes that he'll chill out someday.

A

ALGeckos

I do too Marcia! And the reason I chose was their character or personality. The one I seem to be attached to the most is very alert, doesn't mind when I'm around, and loves to be picked up and explore my arms & shoulders. One of my other ones, no matter how much I hold her - she doesn't like me! She scurries away all the time even if I just try to watch her in the viv from a distance :p Ah well :) I still love em, but I will admit that I have my favorites ;)

gaparicio

Let's Go Bears!
I'd like to choose character/personality and sentimental reasons. My very first 2 geckos that I raised from 15g to adults I just can't get rid of. My male hypo het tremper (in my avatar) is very tame and can be held for as long as I want. My female bell eats like a pig and loves to come out of her hide during feeding time. I can even pet her on her head while she eats her mealworms. I don't have any projects for her (my only bell albino morph) but I just can't seem to let her go. When it comes to color or genes, they are as plain as you can get but they are by far my favorites.:D

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I love everyone of them for their character and personality; I like the males a tint more than the females, as the males are more "outgoing" and chunky; and somehow, all my females don't like being held (and that's cute too..."look, she's hiding from me again, how cute! ;)) lol.

GoGo

I'm Watching You
I think the only gecko im 100% sure I would never ever get rid of because I love him so much and am so attached to him would be our first, GoGo, the little chubby ball of unknown morph, regenerated tails, nearly all nail-less toes, and 'chomp what I feel like chomping" attitude.

marula

i have some favourite geckos for their personality and attitude :)
my super favourite one is shine, the hypo gost from paul sage...
i fall in love with her from the first moment...she is soo sweet, she love look at me and stay in the bed to take a look at what i do..is not a gecko, is loke a dog lol!!

LeosForLess

well it all started at PetCo, my first time ever shoplifting......
lol no im joking

this giant cuz she always walks out when i go to feed her and shes calm and i just like her a lot for no reason

L

LeopardGeckoMom52688

I have a few geckos, I love my very first two because they are my first two. Petrie of those is my fav. She got really ill in March, same with her sister. And now she is one of my biggest females, a sweetheart. I can drive to the pet store with her on my sholder. And then there is my small blizzard female. I love her because she is shorter and just has a sweet calm personality. I love as my sister calls her my down syndrome gecko. Her head and nose are kinda pushed in. But she is very calm. Came to me from petco as a rescue. Someone dropped her off. And then Cinderella, my Super hypo female. She is just amazing. My boyfriend of like the last 2 years on and off baught her for me, and we have just been attached at the hip since. She is so calm. I make it a ritual to hold her everynight, and she doesn't like going back. And then there is my LVPA male I just bought. He is HUGE, 90 grams, and about 9 in. I love him because of his looks, and because he can be a big jerk if you catch him on a bad day. Your best friend others. And then prince charming and belle. They are my tremper albinos from JMG. And those two are just my most beautiful geckos, and worth alot. And then well of course you have to count my afts. Little foot is my 66 grams aft, with the HUGE tail. She will die her. She is my all time favorite gecko. Even my family would kill me if I got rid of her. So I love my geckos, for their characters, their personailties, for sentimental reasons, and well thats about it. i don't care how much they are worth or weither or not I breed them. No money in the worth could ever replace these geckos. These are my babies. I cry even when I see one not eat for a while. and I starved my self and got depressed when pinworms got in and started making my sister geckos ill!

geckoboy16

i tend to switch off having a "favorite" but if i had to pick it would be my two first leos. i love all of my leos and try to spend time holding all of them when i can.

bohannbj

REEF AND REPTILES
My wife has her scrappy in the classroom. He is the only gecko I have ever seen that "steps up" into her hand. My favorite has to be Leia (the one in my avatar). I was watching the trilogy after buying her and scrappy at Petco. She is always curious when I open her tub and has never flicked a tail at me. Not to mention she has a fat rump.

Visit our friends