Why does my fat tail do this??

ladylocks

My adult female fat tail will just walk around pressed up to the side of the enclosure with her mouth wide open. She does this over and over for at least 5 minutes, I've touched her while she was doing this and she wasn't aggressive, she isn't aggressive toward the others either. She is in a feeding container in these pics with a male and another female. She does this in her own tub too (she is by herself). any ideas? I don't want her rubbing her mouth raw.
[video=youtube_share;EDaSrpzfpHI]http://youtu.be/EDaSrpzfpHI[/video]

Attachments

• IMG_7014.jpg
    IMG_7014.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7017.jpg
    IMG_7017.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 9

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have to say that's pretty weird. The only time I"ve encountered this with fat tails is when I've taken babies to the show and one usually gets cold and starts what I call "silent screaming". Is the enclosure warm enough? Is she housed with others and could they be bullying her? Just brainstorming . . . maybe a vet visit?

Aliza

ladylocks

She was warm in this photo, But I usually see her on the cool side doing this. I only took the bin out to show what she was doing. Her and the others get along great, and she is housed alone. I have no Idea what could be wrong. She is a great eater, she gets dusted crickets every other day (she gets bored of the calcium) and she has a calcium dish in her enclosure. She's not gravid at the moment, just a healthy little fat tail. Maybe she's just trying to escape?

milha

Hi,

I have only a few AFTs but have not seen anything similar. For how long do you have her and for how long she is doing it? Once you have ruled out any healthy issues, I would be inclined to think this may be a defensive behavior, as she may not be very happy with you around perhaps... any updates on her?

KTyne

Kayla
I don't think that this is normal behaviour, I've never seen any of my fat-tails do this. :\ Maybe the enclosure is too hot and she's trying to cool off? I know Beardies gape when they are trying to regulate their temps, like was previously stated.

Visit our friends