Wiring Heat Tape Together in a Rack

Neon Aurora

I'm in the process of building a new rack and I want to make it pretty big. Up until now, I only needed two shelves, so only had two strips of heat tape. Well, now I need more than that and am unsure of what the safest way to hook up all of that heat tape is. I don't like to do the thing where you run one continuous strip along each shelf and down the next. It just seems like a big waste of power. I currently have three strips of heat tape that all have their individual plugs and are plugged into a surge protector which is plugged into a Herpstat which is plugged into a fancy surge protector which is plugged into the wall. The fancy surge protector also has my two other Herpstats (for my two incubators) plugged into it. I'm not entirely comfortable with this string of things plugged into other things. Ideally, I want to wire all of the strips of heat tape together so they can just be plugged into the Herpstat.

So, my questions is, what is the safest way to do this? I have a friend who is pretty good at this stuff helping me. He wants to physically combine each wire for each individual strip of heat tape into one physical plug. Is this safe? The only real knowledge of electricity and circuits I have is from my general physics class, which wasn't very detailed. I also wasn't very good at that particular subject.

Any suggestions on how to not have 8 million plugs coming out of my rack would be appreciated. Fire safety is always a big concern, of course.

J&M UNE

Daisy chain them..IMO the safest way is with the least connections ..that why I run one solid piece..yea there's a little wasted tape but only one connection to fail.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

Visit our friends