Worried about new juvenile!

scarlett1784

This is my first reptile. Had him, 4 months old, for about 11 days now. The 1st 5 days I had him he was exploring and climbing on everything and the 1st 4 nights he defecated, then he suddenly stopped. After 4 nights he finally defecated, but since then it has been 3 nights again. He hasn't been as active at night as he was the first 5 days he arrived. He use to climb on everything in his tank, even though it was just to find new places to sleep, but now he seems to more or less just stay in a couple places all night and usually in his hide outs. A couple nights ago he was a little more active, but ever since I got up this morning he has been in the same place, not his usual one, and it has been over 4 hours. He normally retreats to his warm side hide out shortly after I turn on his day lamp. The temperature and humidity are what they have been, 76-78 on the cool side, 83-ish on the warm side with the under tank heater as well, and about 45% humidity (raises when I spray a few times a day). I also noticed the other night that he was chewing or licking at the side of where his tail attaches to his leg and thought that was kind of odd. I'm worried that he might be getting sick or that something is wrong because of the seemingly drastic change in behavior from the first 5 days I've had him to the last 5 days. I have considered that it may have had something to do with the size of the crickets he has been eating, I think medium, since I have since read that they require food at his size no bigger than the length between the end of his nose to his eyes. I have gotten pinhead crickets to feed him now and am hoping that that might help. He won't eat anything else but he does eat about 5 crickets, medium sized, every day. Any ideas as to the change in his behavior and irregularity?

fledgehole

A few things I can see right away. Try and get your high temp a little closer to 90 I like the hot side to be 86-89. Also what kind of substrate are you using? It also may be that the little guy is going into a shed which will drop his appetite down.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's not unusual for juveniles to explore for awhile and "make themselves at home" and then spend a lot of time hiding since in the wild they are an easy target. In addition to raising the floor temperatures on the hot side, I also think a humid hide (if you don't already have one) is a better option than spraying, especially that frequently.
Congratulations on your new guy. You'll probably see more positive behavior changes as it settles in.

Aliza

scarlett1784

Thanks for the replies. I have an UTH that keeps the floor temp at around 93. I just made him a humidity box about 4-5 days ago and when I cleaned his tank I noticed that he has shed, just not sure if it was before or after I added that. Found a couple small pieces of skin inside his favorite hide.
I have him on reptile carpet. He has had a great appetite (immediately wakes up and eats when I drop in the crickets) until last night, he didn't seem interest. I got him some smaller crickets and I think he may just not be as interested in them as the medium sized ones.
Good to know that his behavior isn't that unusual.
He still hasn't become regular with his defecation, which he was the first 4 nights. He will go and then 3-4 nights will pass, which I've heard is unusual for one his age. The last time he went, it seemed a little runny so I collected it to take to a vet but am still waiting to collect a larger sample size.

Visit our friends