Worried!!! Is this normal?

Ryder5406

I've got two eggs incubated for 44 days at 85*. About 5-6 days ago they started doing the sweating thing where the shell gets a different color like its wet you know. Normal from what I've read and a sign there getting ready to hatch. I've seen movement in the eggs the whole time so I know they were alive as late as yesterday. Today I checked the eggs and they are starting to collapse. I'm worried something is wrong. Is this normal also? I don't remember reading that. If it is when should they hatch?

Ryder5406

That's what I thought but they both died. Both eggs had a little hole where I assume the egg tooth poked a hole but then nothing. I waited till the next day and nothing. So I checked the eggs and both babies showed no movement at all. Shined a light still nothing. So I opened one and it was a fully formed baby with no movement what so ever. I waited another 12 hours on the other and checked it to find the same. Opened the egg and found what appeared to be another fully formed albino baby, which was a surprise. I'm so disappointed. I don't know what could have happened. Help would be appreciated as as I have 10 more eggs with more on the way.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm having that kind of season as well. Several fully formed dead hatchlings and one that lived for 3 days and died for no reason I could figure. Hang in there.

Aliza

Ryder5406

What could it be. Should I recheck my humidity, temps, what? Should I try to help them out next time if I see them pip the egg but don't come out right away? I've always read no. It sucks just to hear you can't do anything sometimes. I use to breed American bulldogs. I've had to pull pups out, give mouth to mouth, cut ambillical cords, etc. with these little guys there isn't a whole lot you can do.

stager

It just happens sometimes one year I had six that way this year I can't miss every thing is hatching. Don't give up.

Ryder5406

We'll some good news. I had two more eggs that were about four days behind the others being laid. They hatched today. I heard something in the incubator and peaked in to find two perfect little hatchlings. I haven't got them out yet. Making sure there new space is ready for them and at the right temps. Kinda got caught off guard thinking they might also not hatch.

Gives you you a little more confidence your doing things right when you finally get hatchlings. Yay.

Visit our friends