You Decide.

N

Nigel4less

I recently learned from a breeder whom I know fairly well, that he adopted out a group of animals with issues last year, someone in the South(No names Mentioned) "adopted" two of the animals, and resold them to a newer member on the forums...

Ethical or Unethical?

I know where I stand ;)

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
When you say someone adopted them I assume you mean (s)he got them for free.

I don’t have a problem if (s)he got them for free and sold them for a profit.
But…
If (s)he sold them and did not say they had issues (Non-life threatening as it is in this case) then I would be disappointed in this “person”.

So that’s where I stand depending on what one it was.

whkrazyk

Geck'd Out
i dont feel its right to adopt a pet into your home because it has a problem and then sell it to another person, once you adopt a pet its yours, your not buying it as a breeder, your getting it because it has problems aqnd needs special attention, and if the person sold them to somebody without mentioning those problems, well that just shows a level of deception thats criminal, not only did the person not get what they paid for and has to now take care of the animals, the animals themselves may not get the treatment they need ending in serius suffering and/or death, either way just wrong and disgusting

N

Nigel4less

When you say someone adopted them I assume you mean (s)he got them for free.

I don’t have a problem if (s)he got them for free and sold them for a profit.
But…
If (s)he sold them and did not say they had issues (Non-life threatening as it is in this case) then I would be disappointed in this “person”.

So that’s where I stand depending on what one it was.

How is that right either way? Selling an Adopted Pet?!?!?!

N

Nigel4less

I agree with you, Nigel. :main_yes:

Thank you, but the point of this thread isn't to get people to agree with me. I mean its fantastic know I`m not alone, but the fact that someone would actually pull a stunt like that, just makes want to "Will Not Say" ;)

ReptileMan27

I dont agree with that at all but thats just my opinion. Its pretty sad that someone would adopt a gecko with issues and then turn around and sell it to make a profit. But sadly these days it doesent suprise me much.

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
It's wrong to profit from a gift. I adopted a gecko that is a runt that has grown really slow and I was asked not to ever breed her, I never will, out of respect. I was informed of her issues right off the bat. I gave my word and my word is good. I have another of the same morph anyway. Unethical to sell what amounts to a gift, IMO.

Last edited:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
When someone acquires a gecko, whether paid for or free, the gecko is theirs to do with what they please. It's their gecko now, after all. Whether or not it is ethical would depend on the reason the gecko was adopted out to begin with. If the gecko was too small, or had a deformity, or a genetic problem, and it was sold without disclosing that information... then I would say that would be a very unethical action. If it was disclosed, then all one could hope for is that the 'new' keeper of this gecko is ethical. Unfortunately, it seems like there are a lot of transactions going on now that are questionable. The bottom line is... what about the gecko?

THE WHISPERER

In my opinion I couldn't sell a pet that I adopted for free. But Marcia has a good point, If you now own it it's yours to do with as you please.

Jenn

Personally if the person told the buyer the "problems" I dont see the big deal. I would never do it but if the owner of the gecko wanted to do it to each there own. I see nothing different then the breeder "adopting" them out other then the fact that the new owner got a fee.

Alusdra

I'm in a similar situation- I adopted four Enigmas with various problems. But I'm not sure that I really want to keep all four. Plus my gecko sitter put a cap on the number she really wanted to care for at 7, which makes me 2 over. I said as much to the breeder when I adopted, though. And if I were to adopt some of them to someone else, I would fully disclose all their problems, make sure the new owner understood that they are definitely not for breeding to a level that I felt comfortable they really wouldn't be bred, and I would likely not charge anything. I might ask if they would help me out with the shipping and vet fees I've put into the animals, but seeing as I would have paid very similar fees if I'd only adopted one or two in the first place, I wouldn't demand that they do so.

As a general concept I don't have a problem with it- so long as everything is fully disclosed and the buyer isn't being duped and the gecko continues to get the care it needs. It's certainly fishy sounding, though.

BettaDragon

I think it's certainly rude to sell an animals that you adopted but no unethical. As long as the problems were fully disclosed to the buyer I don't see it being unethical. If they weren't fully disclosed it's both rude and unethical, imo.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
I think the act is horribly unethical. Here's my reasoning:

1.) The geckos were adopted, and then someone chose to turn a profit with them. 100% profit, I might add. That doesn't seem right to me. If anything, they should have been adopted out AGAIN. I think that would be the correct thing to do, AND disclose the problems in addition.

2.) I can't imagine that the history of these geckos was disclosed to the buyer. What buyer pays for a gecko that the seller picked up in an adoption? Nobody! And if you aren't going to disclose that they were attained through adoption, then I find it hard to believe that the problems were disclosed at time of sale either.

:main_no:

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
I'm curious as to where you would all stand on this.. similar subject, different story..

What if you adopted a gecko that was an adoption due to it being a well-established adult and severly underweight. You gave your word not to breed because of the underweight issue. Also, because of the underweight issue, the gecko seems frail. Then you come to find that said gecko refuses to eat everything you try to feed except for wax worms. Say that you spent the better part of two months hand-feeding and finally getting the gecko to start eating superworms and mealworms for it's everyday diet. After such, the gecko gains a healthy amount of weight and is no longer frail.

Now, once the reasons for adoption no longer apply, would it be wrong to breed the animal? Yes, you gave your word before, but the circumstances have changed. You had every intention of keeping your word up until now. You decide to breed the gecko, and come to find that it's an excellent breeder. It lays several fertile clutches and bounces back up to normal weight between clutches better than some of your other geckos that you've paid top dollar for.

Is this wrong?

Last edited:

GeckoTrouble

I would say in that case I would give a courtesy call to the original owner and explain the great progress the gecko has made and the decision to do breeding (limited to only what the gecko can do and remain healthy).

I would probably also give one of the nicer babies to the original owner.

Visit our friends