Your thoughts on hovabators vs reptibators?

aorsak

TechnicolorGeckos
I have a hovabator that I got a couple years ago when my pet store geckos starting laying eggs. It still works but I've read about them having issues with temperature fluctuation? Is it bad enough to harm the eggs sometimes? I won't have enough for a reptibator for a few months because this year is going to be my first season so will the one I have now due? Or do I need to get a new one at all?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My understanding is that the reptibator is similar to a hobovator but has a much better thermostat. The reptibator has a proportional thermostat (i.e. it isn't just on/off but acts kind of like a dimmer depending on the temperature) and the hobovator doesn't. I used a hobovator for about 5 years and bought a decent proportional thermostat for it. Essentially you will spend the same amount of money whether you get a hobovator and then buy a good thermostat or just get a reptibator. The important thing to keep in mind is that if the room your incubator is in gets hotter than the incubation temp you want, the temp in the incubator will also go up because these incubators don't cool, they only heat. So if you don't have AC in the summer you're going to need a mini-fridge model that both cools and heats.

Aliza

Visit our friends