Heat mat size

ApplestoApples

What size heat mat should a 29 gallon tank have on it? Also, is a thermostat required, reccomended, or just advised?
Thanks, Luke

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Depends on the brand.
You'll want one that coveres 1/4 of the tank. Probably a "medium", again depending on the brand.

mudskipper

That's a good brand. You can get one size bigger than the medium one, too. Large I think? It's better to have one that is too large than too small in case you decide to get thick substrate like ceramic tiles or when your place is very cold in winter. While you're on Amazon, also get the Hydrofarms Thermostat to plug the heat pad in. Set the temperature to 95F and tape the thermostat's probe down to the floor right at the center of the warm hide. The heat pad should be directly underneath where the hide is.

ApplestoApples

I got a medium zilla heat mat for 30 to 40 gallons, it seems to be pretty good at keeping the temperature in the low 90's.

Yeah I got a small, I'm saying for Luke it would be best mudskipper.
That's great, you should probably get a thermostat or rheostat to keep the temp good, my dad installed a dimmer switch that also works... My temp is around 91 to 94

Ozy

I have a 20 gallon long with a 30-40 gallon ZooMed heat mat. It covers about a 1/3 of the tank. I had originally gotten the 20 gallon one, but it was WAY too small

Kate C

I use the 30-40 gallon (Zoo Med) for my 29 gallon tank.

I strongly recommend a thermostat. I use Zoo Med's Thermostat and it works perfectly.

My dad installed a dimmer switch KateC, and it works great but it is also kind of pricey to get the switch and if you don't know how to install it get a thermostat.

Ozy

My dad installed a dimmer switch KateC, and it works great but it is also kind of pricey to get the switch and if you don't know how to install it get a thermostat.
PLEASE just stop Julie. I have a dimmer switch for my UTH and it was $10, it plugs into the wall then has a plug on it for the heat mat. You are not giving correct information and are encouraging this person.

Ozy

I know she's 10. I could have been a lot meaner, but I wasn't because I know she's 10. I like julie, but if someone is giving out incorrect information then I'm going to call them on it.

I'm sorry, next time I'll make sure it is correct before I post.
I went to the store to pick up some things and I saw a 30 dollar dimmer switch, and I assumed that they were like that.

mudskipper

A thermostat is better than a dimmer. Unless the room temperature and the heatpad itself always stay the same temperatures, which would be unlikely, the temperature in the warm hide will keep fluctuating depending on the room temperature. Think of a heatpad as a device that adds temperature. It won't know when to stop.

Unless you call your thermostat a dimmer.

Visit our friends