Can geckos swim?

U

Untide

Not that I am going to find out...just was wondering if they can swim.

U

Untide

Well very true but...deserts have flash floods once in awhile.

leonut

Well, considering they have big plump bodies and tiny little legs, i don't think they can swim well, if at all. but i'm not an expert.

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
Hmm.. bearded dragons have plump bodies and small legs and they can swim surprisingly well lol.. I am not sure about leopard geckos though. Most of them really don't even like to be in water at all.

P

piratitude

Two of my girls love to be in water.. They don't swim per se, but they float easily enough.

U

Untide

I would LOVE to see a picture or a video of swimming leos piratitude.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Since leopard gecko's natural habitiat does not have bodies of water, I doubt they are equipped for swimming. Also, I have had a gecko drown in less than 1/2 inch of water while soaking him, and know of many hatchlings that drown in water bowls.

nats

I guess most animals can swim enough to save themselves in a emergency,
but that's about it.

S

samthebigkid

think of it like this:
if you dropped a gecko off a cliff, would it suddenly learn to fly?

S

samthebigkid

think of it like this:
if you dropped a gecko off a cliff, would it suddenly learn to fly?

S

samthebigkid

Swimming and flying are completely different though...

not really, they're both things geckos can't do
basically, geckos have no physical appendages that are designed for either. While I'll admit, a gecko is more likely to swim than fly, odds are neither is happening

T

thegeckoguy

I think if it were a life or death situation, they could probably figure out how to swim but again, odds are probably slim

HillDog

haha, I bet leos can swim, I mean snakes can and they don't even have arms(if your argument is that they can't swim because they have tiny arms and huge bodies), but I will admit most snakes are raw muscle. Anyways, most reptiles can swim, I bet a leo could if it had to. And on the argument of geckos have huge bodies and tiny arms... it's not like that in the wild, they're trim and fit in the wild, so I'd say a wild one could swim rather than a CHUBBY tank bound one, lol, I love my little chubbies though =] Just my opinions, I would also like to see a video of a leo swimming lol. And I'm not saying that leos CAN swim, just I beleive they probably have the ability. And I was on a boat once and found a box turtle swimming, it was REALLY weird, and I know a box turtle from a red eared slider, etc. and one time I saw a squirrel swimming across the lake too, lol.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Two of my girls love to be in water.. They don't swim per se, but they float easily enough.

Yes, I've seen one of my gecko float (comfortably). There was a time when Bambi stopped eating due to winter + ovulation; the vet gave us some "Repto-boost" for soaking, I added about 2 inches of water, and Bambi just used her fore-legs to hold on to the ground, and let her bottom half casually float in the water. :)

Visit our friends