Don't know whats wrong with her : (

Ccrashca069

I just got back not long ago from buying some very pretty bells from Nancy ( pics in show off your leopards later) and found my female J upside down and her legs quivering. It was also like she could not use her legs. She is maybe a year old. I just had eggs from her 2 weeks ago. I don't know if geckos can have strokes or what is wrong with her. She been staying in the humid hide the last 2 days.

Leopardbreeder

Could it possibly have been a seizor? I know geckos are prone to neurological problems in incubation. Marcia, I think, know quite a bit on this subject.

Baker14

BAK3rr
Calcium deficiency from just having laid eggs? If shes not able to use her back legs, that is a severe sign of MBD.

Ccrashca069

That did cross my mind. I wasn't sure if they could have seizures or not. I sent Marcia an email before I posted in here. But with her not feeling well right now I was hoping someone here might have some ideals. I have her housed seperately right now.

Leopardbreeder

I doubt MBD is the cause of her on her back.

Just keep an eye on her. If anything else happens, take her to the vet.

Ccrashca069

Thats beyond reading my mind Matt. I been watching her since I got home and if she isn't well by wednesday morning, she is going to the vet. The vet office is closed new years day and the on call vet only works with cats and dogs.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
If the gecko will try to 'right' herself when laying on her back, it's most likely not anything neurological. It almost sounds like a pain response to me.

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
hmmm...it does sound like a seizure or maybe as Marcia said a response to pain. I have some questions:

Can the gecko walk normally?

She's ovulating most likely(which means she won't be eating really), but is she eating if she's not ovulating?

Drinking water?

Do you provide supplements and dust with them? (I doubt it has anything to do with MBD)

She may have a pinched nerve somewhere, this can cause extreme pain if it is bothered. We have show horses and are lucky enough that they don't have any pinched nerves. But I have seen some horses in so much pain from a pinched nerve, they are unable to function properly and can even lose mobility.

Ccrashca069

Ok I will answer all those ,

No she isn't walking normally her head kinda rest on the newspaper.

I been feeding them dusted mealworms and crickets with calcium and vitamins.

I sprayed some water and some droplets landed on her and it looked like she had a spasm attack.

I am soaking her in warm water very shallow.

nwheat

Yikes! I hope you can find the problem, John! :(

Does she look like she's ready to lay another clutch? Perhaps she's having problems with that? I'd say a trip to the vet would be a good idea.

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
I would take her to the vet...Well, you said you're taking her so that's a good idea. It sounds like a nerve issue. The water would trigger it. Since it was probably cold. It may have done something to her like if we take a bite of cold ice cream and it hurts our teeth? I'm not sure. But hope the vet can do something for her.

Ccrashca069

Yeah we have a great reptile vet. Dr Campbell. Marcia also knows her. My wife is a receptionist at the vets office so I am hoping Dr Campbell is working tomarrow. I just finished soaking J in some warm water. She seems to be a bit better. She have climbed up the side so I put her back in a critter keeper I have for now.
I am starting to wonder if my male Vince didn't just bite her like I see them do before mating and it pinched a nerve or something.

Ccrashca069

I just had a quick convo with anouther vet that does some reptiles. Looks like it can be a quick fix. Taking J in to be weighed and looks like liquid calcium will fix the problem. The vet said something long but when I go back in a few minutes with J, I will have more info.

Ccrashca069

Well the vet said the seizers are caused because her calcium was really low from after laying eggs. Not surpised since I was not expecting them to mate untill March. But I give them calcium dusted mealworms and calcium dish is in the tank. So I give both my girls that laid eggs liquid calcium once a day for 2 weeks. She showed me how much and everything because it goes by weight. I just finished housing my male Vince in a new tank all by himself.
In all this madness there is a lesson too learn. Don't house male and female leopard geckos together untill your ready to mate them. Those 2 girls of mine were under weight too have eggs and must have not had enough calcium built up. So yet anouther reason not to buy from anyone that does not know when the geckos were hatched.

Ccrashca069

Tonight J gets her 4th dose of liquid calcium. I have not seen her have a seizer since the 1st dose. I have seen her catch and eat a couple crickets also. Ruby light as many candles and say as many prayers that you want for J. I know I do and have restless nights sleeping because of thinking of her.

L

LadyGecko

My fingers and toes are crossed for her full recovery !!

You will both be in my thoughts and prayers

Please keep us updated on her

Sandy

Visit our friends