help my mali uro wont eat :(

Pedy9970

got a juvie mali uro 3 weeks ago , she ate once day after she arrives and thats it, she in hunger stike since then.

her enclosure is a 35l tub with screen top and located outdoor

am i missing something ?

DSC_0579.jpg

DSC_0580.jpg

DSC_0583-1.jpg

DSC_0584.jpg

Pedy9970

opsss sorry forgot to mention im from the philippines and it summer here with matching el nino (dry spell) phenomenon , it so hot and dry here , reaching 120 deg f is no prob :)

i afraid we dont have dandelion here hehehe

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
i think the problem is just that it isn't a suitable enclosure for any uromastyx

this should help you out...
PART I
[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2fYeuVJ7ogk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2fYeuVJ7ogk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

PART II
[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JgplP9ZnQ8M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JgplP9ZnQ8M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

DoubleZ

I definitely agree is Imperial. Also, what are you feeding her? They can be picky. check out www.deerfernfarms.com for lots of great info on good foods. Mine love greenbeans, bok choy, and endive.

Pedy9970

i hear you guys esp. imperial :) , ran to my fav pet supply store and garder/landscaping depot and bought some materials

DSC_0797-1.jpg

DSC_0795-1.jpg

DSC_0802.jpg

still missing a couple rocks but looks much much better than before (asthetically) , and i guess ms. uro likes her new home :)

will observed her for a few days :)

Last edited:

DoubleZ

That looks so much better. I'd just be careful about that light. They're not always the smartest critters and she could burn herself. And make sure to put her food in a bowl to minimize ingestion of sand.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Looks much better! Remember you need UVB lighting, thee other side of the cage looks dark..and uros need light in order for the psychological well being. I hoped my videos helped you out!

With the proper temp and lighting your uro will eat in no time...also remember many imports will not eat while you are watching them...so try to cover up the class with newspaper until your mali starts eating...(assuming yours is an import, lol sorry, idk if it is or isnt)

Regards,
Alex

Pedy9970

That looks so much better. I'd just be careful about that light. They're not always the smartest critters and she could burn herself. And make sure to put her food in a bowl to minimize ingestion of sand.

will buy food dish soon thanks :)

Pedy9970

Looks much better! Remember you need UVB lighting, thee other side of the cage looks dark..and uros need light in order for the psychological well being. I hoped my videos helped you out!

With the proper temp and lighting your uro will eat in no time...also remember many imports will not eat while you are watching them...so try to cover up the class with newspaper until your mali starts eating...(assuming yours is an import, lol sorry, idk if it is or isnt)

Regards,
Alex

your video helps alot

will buy another set of light this weekend

but the good news was she ate some bok choy while im holding the veggie! wow !!!

thank you very much :)

DoubleZ

Malis are great. Once they get used to you they are just so much fun. Both my male and female will hang out and wander around the house with supervision. My male will give kisses. They have the best personalities.

Johnantny

Uros are burrowing species. Nothing can substitute deep sandy dirt for these lizards. They dig down for many reasons, one is hydration and another is energy retention. The first photos show a plastic bin on a patio- there's no escape to allow proper thermoregulation. A quick fix in mean time would be to fill that bin up over 8 inches with sandy dirt, compress it down, keep it damp and let the lizard do what it does best- dig. Same goes for most monitors, beardies... Good Luck, john

Pedy9970

Uros are burrowing species. Nothing can substitute deep sandy dirt for these lizards. They dig down for many reasons, one is hydration and another is energy retention. The first photos show a plastic bin on a patio- there's no escape to allow proper thermoregulation. A quick fix in mean time would be to fill that bin up over 8 inches with sandy dirt, compress it down, keep it damp and let the lizard do what it does best- dig. Same goes for most monitors, beardies... Good Luck, john

does the above pic/setup will do?

DoubleZ

The cave you have provided looks great. It's actually not recommended to use deep sand because it does not pack the same way the ground does and can collapse on them. I would however either place the lamp on top of the tank or use a protective cage on it so that she can not get too curious and burn herself. They can and will use their tails to stand up to investigate or escape.

Johnantny

I disagree. The cave is a mere decoration, which serves nothing other than esthetic. Deep substrate acts as a insulator against water loss. Its one of the reasons burrowing desert species dig down and stay down. They are conserving their water by retreating to cooler, damp levels. A glass cage really isn't proper reptile container, while a custom cage built to the reptiles needs would be best. If I was keeping Uros, beardies, or savannah monitors I would build a solid, water proofed base, with 150F basking area, cool side ambients no lower than 78F. Substrate would be damp sandy dirt (a foot or more deep) to allow deep digging and tunneling (its what Uros are built for). Minimal ventilation, in fact, zero vents at top of cage, and feed it daily. Its the difference between a lizard living a few months to a life measured in years.

About burns: if the cage is sub proper in temperature, the lizard will bask incessantly to stay within levels for digestion, or to meet daily internal needs. Your lizard should bask no more than a few minutes at a time, not lay under it for hours. Thats where burns occur. Little has to do with the high basking temps, instead its all about the ambient meeting the lizards needs.

Do some basic searches for your lizards natural habitat and temperatures and you'll see what I am trying to explain. Good luck, John

Visit our friends