Moist hide temperature?

kiwi

I'm getting my first gecko in a few days, so I'm setting up his tank in preparation. I've got one of those digital zilla thermometers that lets me just poke its thread into different areas to read the temperature, so I'm checking everything.

I'm seen that the warm side should be in the upper 80s and the cold side should be in the mid 70s. But how hot should the moist hide itself be? I have it on the warm side, which reads about 86, but the hide itself is only showing 80.4. Is this okay? I've misted it to see if the humidity helps.

I'm also wondering if it could just need more time to warm up. I've only had the UTH on for about five hours.

Am I just overthinking everything? I just want to make sure my little guy is comfy when he moves in :)

Also, I'm really sorry if this has been asked before! I've looked everywhere and couldn't find anything specific.

Last edited:

Knibitz

Pet Owner
from what I've been reading it's lower/mid 90s for the hot side
no lower than high 70's/80 on the cool side

Most people, that I've noticed, put their humid hide in the middle, and I imagine that as long as it doesn't go over the temp that your hot side it is, then you're fine.

Last edited:

kiwi

I'm worrying that my UTH is too small. It came with my tank, which I got second hand, and it only covers about a third of the hot side of the tank. Do you think it would be a good plan to get a bigger one?

Knibitz

Pet Owner
I'm worrying that my UTH is too small. It came with my tank, which I got second hand, and it only covers about a third of the hot side of the tank. Do you think it would be a good plan to get a bigger one?

Mine only covers a third and it's the proper size.
think hot side, middle ground, cool side. So one third makes sense to me

Tommy

Militant Surf Adictx
mine likes the humid hide on the hot side so its about 92 in there. Its like a sauna. only problem is it needs to be soaked every other day cause i just have paper towel in there now. three layers.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
Same here Tommy, the paper towel dries out pretty fast, but in a way i think its good that it dries out & then gets wet again, instead of continuously being wet, could mold. My humid hide is between 86-95.

Visit our friends