How to connect with my Gecko?

Leah_6666

I got a Leopard Gecko named Davey a few months ago. I haven't touched him though. I really wanted one that I could hold and be friends with. I'm a bit scared he'll bite me or run away. He's not very active, usually stays in his hide all day and switches sides at night. I know I'm not the best at caring for reptiles but he does have everything he needs. I tried putting a pen in his tank and waving it around to see what he'd do. He just bit it. I want him to be happier and I don't really know what to do. So far I feed him dried meal-worms which I know isn't the best. I don't really want live crickets or bugs though so that brings my second question, are there any healthy food options that I can possibly buy online that are better but still dried?

I just want him to be happy.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Is he eating the dried mealworms? Most geckos won't eat food that's not living. If he's eating them, you could look for dried crickets and add those to its diet. There is also "grub pie" made by Repashy which you mix up. Google it for more info.
If you wave a pen around, it looks like food. Try putting your hand in the cage and holding it still. If you're really worried about getting bitten wear a pair of gloves. Eventually you can try sliding your hand gently under the gecko and holding it inside the cage. See if you can get to that stage. In all honesty, some geckos seem to be OK about being around people and others just aren't into it.

Aliza

Leah_6666

Is he eating the dried mealworms? Most geckos won't eat food that's not living. If he's eating them, you could look for dried crickets and add those to its diet. There is also "grub pie" made by Repashy which you mix up. Google it for more info.
If you wave a pen around, it looks like food. Try putting your hand in the cage and holding it still. If you're really worried about getting bitten wear a pair of gloves. Eventually you can try sliding your hand gently under the gecko and holding it inside the cage. See if you can get to that stage. In all honesty, some geckos seem to be OK about being around people and others just aren't into it.

Aliza
Thank you. I just get scared because he has hissed before and it's really scary and it makes me anxious. He does seem to eat the meal-worms too.