1-year-old stopped eating

Robinmotion

Hi, my daughter adopted a leopard gecko several months ago; she didn’t want to eat at first for several weeks. Tried all the foods her previous owner said she liked, starting with super worms, then crickets, and finally dubia roaches. She finally ate dubia roaches from tweezers, and hunted a few too. We thought we were in the clear.

I left it in my daughter’s hands and two weeks ago I was helping her clean the enclosure. My daughter lifted up one of the hides and gave a little gasp, then started to cry. All those roaches we thought she’d been eating? Nope. Clustered in one of the hides.

We fished them out and have been trying to get her to eat ever since, without much luck. Maybe one roach in the past two weeks?

we’ve tried handling to build up her appetite before feeding; using a dish; letting a roach or two roam free; and tweezer feeding. Nothing’s working.

We have good temp, cool side and warm; keeping one hide moist (although only adding water once/day); minimizing stress, I think.

ideas? Offer more different food choices?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Can you post a picture? Is he tail getting thinner (a sign that she's losing weight)? Sometimes geckos just don't eat for awhile, especially if they're female and ovulating. If she's not losing weight, keep offering and just wait her out. If she is losing weight, find a reptile vet and make an appointment.

Aliza

Robinmotion

Can you post a picture? Is he tail getting thinner (a sign that she's losing weight)? Sometimes geckos just don't eat for awhile, especially if they're female and ovulating. If she's not losing weight, keep offering and just wait her out. If she is losing weight, find a reptile vet and make an appointment.

Aliza
It’s hard for me to tell if she’s losing weight or the tail is getting smaller; should I put her on a digital scale or something every few days? Here’s a pic if it helps.

Attachments

• 0434187F-4545-403F-9A1B-2B8E9B74285E.jpeg
    0434187F-4545-403F-9A1B-2B8E9B74285E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • D5758767-FC66-4FC1-841C-86399DD15030.jpeg
    D5758767-FC66-4FC1-841C-86399DD15030.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Visit our friends