1st eggs for my girl Stella

staceyleigh

Woke up at 1:30am to find 2 beautiful eggs in Stella's tank:D, yes very excited:main_yes: They were quite soft when I found them, but I know she just laid them, as she was still standing guard over them. She didn't lay them in either of the moist hides she had, but on the tile on the warm side, which was frustrating because she had dug up both hides! So now they are in the incubator at 86 degrees and I will hope for the best!

Attachments

• 20140315_015549-1-1.jpg
    20140315_015549-1-1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 4

staceyleigh

Just candled these eggs, they are fertile!!! I am so over the top excited:D I would have kept incubating even if I didn't see anything, but I saw red veins and little pink dots on both. I really just wanted to check for the experience since these are my 1st eggs and I hadn't seen first hand what it looked like before. I probably won't usually candle, because I will incubate no matter what.

staceyleigh

They were carried 25 days. These are the 1st eggs here. I have a second female who I think will lay in the next couple of days.

tb144050

They were carried 25 days. These are the 1st eggs here. I have a second female who I think will lay in the next couple of days.

Thanks!! and congrats in advance!! When she lays, will you please pm me and tell me how many days the other female carried? I am gathering quantitative data and comparing it to fertility rates of first-time breeders, first clutches, and/or first-time breeder's first clutches. :D

staceyleigh

Thanks!! and congrats in advance!! When she lays, will you please pm me and tell me how many days the other female carried? I am gathering quantitative data and comparing it to fertility rates of first-time breeders, first clutches, and/or first-time breeder's first clutches. :D

My 2nd girl just laid her 1st clutch, 2 beautiful eggs! One is already candling pink, the other looks yellowish to me, so that one may not be fertile. Both are in the incubator, so we will see!
Luna, my 2nd female is a Mack Snow Eclipse and she was mated 3/4/14 so laid eggs 15 days after that.

tb144050

Congrats again!! :D i am getting so jealous. I am still waiting on my first eggs (17 days today), but I am hoping that "it's worth the wait" because "you get what you pay for." I'm hoping to find the tipping point between fertile/infertile first clutch eggs, based on the number of days carried. :)

If there is truth to my theory, I don't mind "paying a little extra" by waiting longer. "D

staceyleigh

Congrats again!! :D i am getting so jealous. I am still waiting on my first eggs (17 days today), but I am hoping that "it's worth the wait" because "you get what you pay for." I'm hoping to find the tipping point between fertile/infertile first clutch eggs, based on the number of days carried. :)

If there is truth to my theory, I don't mind "paying a little extra" by waiting longer. "D

Yeah- my 1st female carried longer (25 days) so I think she mated very early in ovulation and both her eggs candled pink with little red veins after 5 days. The second I believe mated a little later in her ovulation and carried 15 days, so that may be why only one is candling pink. I know sometimes it takes a few days for them to candle pink so I am still hopeful with the other one.
Good luck with yours! I have mated my 1st girl again already as I saw a small ovulation with her and wanted to get her early!

tb144050

Good luck with yours! I have mated my 1st girl again already as I saw a small ovulation with her and wanted to get her early!

The second clutch, according to my excessive reading, tends to be fertile in most cases because the female has stored the male's sperm from their first mating. Re-matings after that are usually just to ensure that there is enough sperm stored to keep her "topped off", so to say..lol So your females probably have what they need from the males before their 2nd clutch ovulations started to grow. :D

The females that I've read about that have produced an infertile 2nd/3rd clutch were usually first year breeders and/or underweight/supplemented.

Again, my "sources" on this are just internet posts and I am just finding the correlations/probable-explanations. I will work on proving any that I have time to. :)

Good luck with alllll your new babies this season!! :D

Visit our friends