3yr old Blazing Blizzard Male Leo not eating…

Hotknifealphonso

This is my first post on here, so hello to everybody!

I have 3 Leo’s (all male), two are three years old, and the other one just turned a year old in March. They all pretty much stopped eating completely in mid-December, but had declining appetites starting in late November. It’s April 4th now, and two of my Leo’s are eating and active again (one of the 3yr olds, and the 1yr old), but the other 3yr old Blazing Blizzard Leo still isn’t eating, and has zero interest in food at all. He does sleep a lot currently, but is up and alert around dawn and dusk, and sometimes wants to come out of his enclosure and explore as he normally always did.

He hasn’t lost any weight during his hunger, and is still holding right at 80 grams. He does go to the bathroom every couple days, and it is solid, not runny or anything (he don’t go as much since he’s not been eating anything, and sometimes it’s just urate- but only sometimes) He has an appointment to see his Herp vet this coming Monday Apr 8th, but I still wanted to ask the community about this behavior.

I know this is the time of year that they can lose interest in food, and sleep a bunch, but this is the first winter my Leo’s have stopped eating altogether. I’m not purposely trying to put them into brumation- their temperatures and daylight hours in their enclosures haven’t changed vs. spring/summer. Yes, they’re all housed separately, and do not come into contact with one another at all.

Lightning is 100w Lucky Herp basking with Arcadia ShadeDweller ProT5 8w 7% UV-B tube on 12 hours/day, with no artificial light at night outside of whatever room lighting is on until around 9:30pm- just CHE’s to maintain minimum temps when the house gets chilly; overnight is completely dark for my Leo’s. There IS a large window on the other side of the room opposite the enclosures, but it has room-darkening blinds over it, so no direct sunlight. They can see when it naturally starts to get light outside though at around 5:50 am or so, same when it gets dark. They seem to come out based on real dawn and dusk, no matter what the artificial lighting schedule is.

Temperatures are- Basking surface: 92-94F, Warm side ambient air temp: 84-87F, Cool side ambient air temp: 75-77F, Humidity 38-40%. I use CHE’s to maintain nighttime avg temp's in the enclosures between 70-72F because we keep the house at 62 overnight.. I’m always hot when I sleep. Oh- substrate is an Organic Topsoil/washed play sand/excavator clay mixture that was baked to kill any pest eggs, etc.

I tried to include as much pertinent info as I could, to help if anyone has questions about specifics. So any ideas??? He’s just not eating? I’m at a loss, and that’s why we’re getting into the vet- he needs his checkup anyway. He will not take even mashed up worms of any kind. Nothing.

Thanks-

Alan

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's certainly a good idea for him to see the vet and to have a test for parasites even if the likelihood is low. All I can tell you is that I've seen this behavior before with my geckos, for months sometimes, and the fact that he hasn't noticeably lost weight and is still active, interested and pooping, is positive. What are you feeding them? It wouldn't hurt to try something new just to see if you can spark his interest.

Aliza

Hotknifealphonso

It's certainly a good idea for him to see the vet and to have a test for parasites even if the likelihood is low. All I can tell you is that I've seen this behavior before with my geckos, for months sometimes, and the fact that he hasn't noticeably lost weight and is still active, interested and pooping, is positive. What are you feeding them? It wouldn't hurt to try something new just to see if you can spark his interest.

Aliza
Thanks for the reply!

As far as food goes, I’m offering crickets, meal worms, dubias, silkworms, even offering wax worms, as my Leo’s would always eat a wax worm no matter what, if I couldn’t get them to eat anything else. I’ve even offered freeze dried out of desperation, but nothing interests him. He saw his vet yesterday, and appears very healthy. Bones look great, saw nothing on X-ray or ultrasound that would indicate any disease. Fecal test results will be ready tomorrow; vet did notice something in the carrier that I brought my gecko to the vet in: possible tapeworm segments on the paper towel- a few similar looking white segments where the gecko had been laying. They collected them along with the fecal sample I brought in. Outside of that, he got a vitamin injection, as well as calcium. So today now(the next day) he is much more alert and active, not sleeping as much as he has been- still no interest in eating anything as of yet.

Visit our friends