55 Gal too big?

LIZARDLOVER

I know this isn't very specifically a snake forum, but I feel that the 15 gallon my baby Bull is in is too small. Do you think that a 55 gal is ok for him? He's about 23" in length.

DrCarrotTail

I don't know anything about Bull snakes but I know that baby hognoses and leopard geckos can be very sensitive to space. Too much space will scare them and stress them out. This could cause them to go off food or just slow down their growth a bit. I would do some research on how Bull snakes react to space and if you don't find anything about them being easily stressed give it a shot and see how he does. Of course with any move he'll be a bit stressed and possibly stop eating for a few weeks but if it persists beyond that I would move him back to the 15 gallon.

LIZARDLOVER

Ok. I did a bit of research and sadly could find absolutely nothing... However I did turn up the fact that they (and king snakes) tend to be very curious and explorative, so in that sense a larger tank is actually better. I think I will try it and see what happens. He's been giving me some problems with dry scales, not eating, etc, but I am almost positive that that all has to do with the time of year and brumation. Thanks for the help! Any one else wish to say something on the matter?

Olympus

Biologist & Ecologist
I think that size sounds really good. I've never kept even ball pythons in anything smaller than a 65 gal, these snakes will usually be very active and explore a well set-up enclosure. I think size only intimidates some snakes because the enclosure is too barren, or they've never been exposed to large spaces before and don't know what to do with them.

LIZARDLOVER

Ok. It's interesting, most of the generic keepers who lack experience (ie pet store employees and forums) say that too large of a tank will kill them off, but the more experienced and knowledgeable people tell me it's fine and actually preferred so long as adequate cover is provided. I am thinking that the latter is more correct. Thanks!

DrCarrotTail

I put a moist hide in my hognoses tank to help with shedding. I use a 6qt sterilite with a hole in to top or side filled with damp sphagnum moss. Maybe giving him one for a bit would help with the dry. This way he can choose to be in it if he feels the need :)

LIZARDLOVER

I've already put a sterilite 8 qt filled with 3 inches of water in there for him as a basking pool and water source, hopefully he'll use it some more.

DrCarrotTail

Cool! Mine don't seem to swim much but they LOVE the moist hide. Of course they're a totally different species so might not help with yours :)

Visit our friends