Acceptable plants??

krissyleigh

So I'm building a leopard gecko enclosure for my first leopard gecko using a 20 long aquarium. I found these neat little succulents and some air plants - I was going to build a little ledge and set them off the floor of the tank but I don't want her pushing them over... can I keep these plants in on the floor of the tank? Will it hurt her?
20170319_214314.jpg

Second plant question- my crested gecko tank has pothos and some other plants growing from the bottom, but when I built the background I inserted little planters for plants to grow in the background. But everything I put back there died. Suggestions?? Note: This is an OLD pic, I've made tons of improvements - but you can see where the background plants would go - near the top by the branch is one planter, and the other two have pothos vines coming out of them. All died. I think it's probably to humid for succulents. The tank is a 20 long.
FB_IMG_1490384818507.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The succulents should be fine on the floor. Worst case, the gecko will knock the pots over. As you probably know. succulents do best when allowed to dry out and then to get drenched, so for a leopard gecko that needs low humidity, it works really well to leave them in their pots and to take them out to water them. Of course, in order to keep the succulents alive, you'll need a light. I don't generally use lights for my leopard geckos, but in this case I would. What I said above about the succulents should answer your question about the crestie plants. I agree that it was probably too humid for them. Check out a place like blackjungle.com for plants that would do better with high humidity, but make sure they aren't the type of plants that need super high humidity like you would get in a dart frog enclosure.

Aliza

Visit our friends