Advice for terrariums

Trinity Cernohous

I am going to be getting a medium exo terra reptile terrarium (the tall ones) and I have a breeding pair of bibron geckos that are currently in a 10 gallon tank. I am planning on getting some jungle mix substrate to help promote the breeding, laying and incubation however I am wanting to set up a live vivarium for them as I love the idea of having my reptile tanks be both realistic and naturalistic. Any advice on what to put in?

One other thing, I also am getting a baby bearded dragon and a 55 gallon aquarium (I am putting in a divider til he is bigger so as not to overwhelm him or make it hard for him to get his food). I also want to make that setup look as real and natural as possible so are their any plants or decorations that I could put in so it is more appealing to look at?

Styx

For plants, I use mainly pothos, begonia, philodendron, peperomia, and ficus for the cresteds. The pothos, ficus, and philodendron are mildly toxic if ingested. Pothos and ficus can also have some irritating sap if it comes into contact with skin. Just warning you there. I use them, but it's your choice to use them or not.

There's a lot of other plants out there to try, just remember that cresteds are heavy bodied geckos and they jump on the plants, tearing off leaves, breaking off branches, and damaging the plants so they need to be kind of tough. Plants can die pretty easily in a crested viv. In addition to that, waste on the leaves of some plants will burn the leaves and sometimes kill the plant (I have a huge problem with that an air plants specifically).

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Go with a bromeliad. I bought some plants from JoshsFrogs.com and they worked surprisingly well. They took almost immediately and have been growing very well!

maverickgrl79

be very careful with your Beardie! most house plants are not ok for them to eat and they will try lol. lots of levels and rocks. we go to the river and hiking to get rocks and run them through the dishwasher no soap just white vinegar in the jet dry holder heated dry. then they are good to go in the habitat.

Visit our friends