Advice on heating mats

Heckolove

Hi all. Can anyone recommend a good, safe and reasonably priced heating mat for my crested gecko? Already has a heat bulb and normal bulb but still a bit too cold especially at night. Need something better this winter. Also silly question but does the mat go under the glass tank or just under the substrate?

thanks in advance :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The mat goes under the glass bottom of the enclosure, but for a crested gecko it's possible you could put it along the side of one of the walls. I like the ZooMed heat cable because you can tape it down and then remove it and put it somewhere else as opposed to a heat mat where once you apply it with the adhesive, it's no good if you remove it.

Aliza

Heckolove

Just ordered the heat cable (thank you). Says on the box it can be wrapped around logs inside the enclosure. Do you think this is safe for cresties?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If the crestie sits on it, it could get burned. I would keep the cable outside the enclosure. I did this successfully for a crestie at one point.

Aliza

Heckolove

Thank you. It’s bad on the box it’s says safe to wrap around branches in the enclosure. Glad I checked

Visit our friends