Age guess and tons newbie questions :)

jessmr

Hey all,

Can anyone guess how old a 27g, 6 inch normal leo would be? Is it usually sexable at this size? Also, is this a good healthy weight/length ratio?

And, seeing as I think I've stumbled upon a new addiction ;)... Is it safe to house 3 females around this size together(after a quarantine period of course) with enough space? Does the 10g per gecko rule apply to juvie-sized? Would you introduce two then add a third, or would you throw all three together at once so no one has the edge with claiming territory?

By the way I do have spare tanks to house them individually if needed.

Thanks so much and sorry for the insane amount of questions lol

Jess :D

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
with power feeding techniques a leopard gecko can grow 10g a month and possibly a little more, so i'd guess that it's from 3-6months old. it should be sexable soon if it isn't already. it's relatively safe to house a number of females together as long as there are more hides than geckos. keep an eye out for aggression though. i prefer to keep juveniles separate so i can keep track of feeding and feces. if you do put them all together it will probably be best to put them in at the same time so that they ahve an equal opportunity.

good luck!

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I agree with Rob on age. Most leos can be sexed by 15-25 grams. If quarantine is observed and the enclosure is large enough and there are no signs of aggression then multiple females do fine together. Observation for any signs of bullying is necessary, of course. Make sure they are all about the same size. 10 gals per gecko is the general rule, i.e. a 30 gal tank for 3 adult females, etc. I found that females introduced to each other a month or so before sexual maturity generally had fewer problems getting a long than adults introduced to one another, but it can vary.

jessmr

Thank you guys :) I definitely have enough hides to go around and want to add a second level as well.

I've had my first for a month and its doing well.. its 27g, 6ish inches. The two I'm considering are at the same breeder(not sure if together or seperate). How long should I quarantine for? @Trexx- When do they reach sexual maturity?

Thanks again

Visit our friends