Alalfa Pellets

eccentric_amber

I wouldn't do it. Alfalfa has a tendency to mold when they get wet. I really would advice against anything loose as a substrate. Living on loose substrate is liking living in a cat liter box. Unless you change the entire enclosure every time your beardie has a bowel movement they will be walking, sitting, breathing fecal particles. Above all, anything loose has a risk for impaction, including sand, play sand, wood chips, walnut, ect please don't use any of that or others that pet store may say are safe. I have a rescue dragon right now, who pooped substrate for 2 weeks after I got him, including large chunks of wood. I have seen many dragon necropsy photos (animal autopsy) where the bowel was full of substrate. It can also cause respiratory problems and eye infections. Really it's trouble.
IMHO the best choice is slate tile, but other good choices are non-stick shelf liner, newspaper or even paper towel if you need something quick. People also like using the repti-carpet but that kind of grosses me out, I hear its kind of hard to get to completely clean so it stains and after a while it starts to stink and has to been thrown out anyway.
I will get off my soap box now, being a part of a reptile rescue I have seen and heard of all of these things happening to a dragon becasue of loose substrate.

Visit our friends