All the eggs in 1 certain cup are denting..??

tb144050

I am scratching my head on this situation.

-GEO setup, with "water standing in bottom". (so the perlite is definitely not dry).
-Eggs are fertile
-Eggs are various age between 30 and 45 days old.
-Eggs were incubated at 81.3F (herpstat) until the YOUNGEST eggs were 23 days old....then moved up to 84-85F.
-Eggs have been at 84-85F for 7 days now. (Hovabator, with Fan + Rzilla thermostat; monitored air temp with ZooMed digital thermometer; thermometer probe measures the air right beside the thermostat's probe.)
-Thermometer and Thermostat probe are located toward the right side of the hovabator (under the heating element, NOT under the fan).

2 eggs were slightly dented because I went out of town for 48 hours last month....but now all the eggs in that cup are denting "evenly". I see no condensation under the GEO platform NOR on the cup's lid.

I first noticed the eggs were slightly denting (and noticed no condensation at all (ANYWHERE in the cup) about 3 days ago, so I taped over the 2 holes in the lid.

--------------------------------------------

I know that some eggs will dent when they are getting ready to hatch, but this includes eggs that are not due to hatch yet.

So I am a little bit confused...... Basically, I know they are fertile. I can see the veins and/or little silhouettes when I candled them previously......................but I have NO condensation and they are proceeding to dent slowly.

Should I cut the wire to the circulation fan in this hovabator so that the entire hovabator will reach a minimum of 84-85?

DrCarrotTail

I haven't had luck using suspended incubation methods in hovabator style incubators. They seem to work okay at lower incubation temps but I think at higher temps the heat dries out the air at the top of the cup too much. I might try measuring out some perlite and water in a 1:.8 ratio and placing the eggs directly in it to see if that helps? That's what I found I had to do when I tried using Geos. They work find in my fridge-style incubator though.

DrCarrotTail

Also, when eggs are close to hatching they begin to dent normally as the shell becomes more elastic. This shouldn't happen more than a week or so prior to their hatching though. If its happening several weeks before there's an issue.

tb144050

I haven't had luck using suspended incubation methods in hovabator style incubators. They seem to work okay at lower incubation temps but I think at higher temps the heat dries out the air at the top of the cup too much. I might try measuring out some perlite and water in a 1:.8 ratio and placing the eggs directly in it to see if that helps? That's what I found I had to do when I tried using Geos. They work find in my fridge-style incubator though.

I do believe DrC is right. My "female incubator", set at 81.3F, has a warmer chamber to it that maintains 85F........so i moved my eggs from the 85F hovabator to the 85F chamber of my "female incubator". Now, just 3 hours later, I am already seeing the condensation form on the side of the cup......so now I know my air-humidity is rising. :) I just hope the eggs were not hurt by 7days in a hovabator. :(

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I use the SIM, not the GEO but I can tell you that when the SIM first came out, the developers said there would be a problem with using them in the hobovator due to the exact reason that Dr. Carrot Tail points out. They later developed a "fix" for a SIM being used in the hobovator which I think involved a sponge on the underside of the lid. If you google SIM on this forum, you may be able to find the original discussion because Greg was a moderator here at that time.

Aliza

tb144050

Thanks! I will definitely be finding a fix for it before I use the hovabator again. I didn't want to use the "warmer chamber" of my "female incubator" because varies between 84-87F, depending on when the heat source turned on last and for how long..

I just really hope the eggs will not have problems. They were in there for 7 days and are 20% dented/deflated.

DrCarrotTail

The eggs are pretty hardy. As long as they didn't get super dry I would bet they're okay. You'll have to wait and see but I don't think I would be super upset or worried since they plumped back out pretty quickly. Fingers crossed!!

tb144050

The eggs are pretty hardy. As long as they didn't get super dry I would bet they're okay. You'll have to wait and see but I don't think I would be super upset or worried since they plumped back out pretty quickly. Fingers crossed!!

They were still 20-25% deflated when i checked them this morning. :( But i do see some good condensation on the sides and on the lid,so the humidity is "up" and I just hope they are ok. :0

The cup was at 81.3 until the Youngest eggs reached 23 days (so the oldest eggs were around day 38 @ 81.3F). Today the oldest eggs are at day 47 (after 9 days at 84-85F, including 7 days in hovabator and 2 days in "warm chamber".).

P.s. The warm-chamber is designed to block/trap heat-waves from the heat source.....then the heat evens dissipates to the 81.3f "female area" (where the herpstat probe is. It is just sheer luck that the "warmer chamber" near the heat source stays between 84-87'ish, because i dont have a degree in thermodynamics/design...lol.

I am, however, testing a theoretical fix to the "hovabator too dry for GEO's" problem, using a prepped geo cup with NO eggs......Ill let you know if the geo up condensates with my theoretical idea. :)

Visit our friends