Another handling question....!

jenandgromit

Hey,

So Gromit is lovely and is about 7months old now. He has grown huge since we got him and everything it fine!

Now when handling him he did not love the scoop pick up technique when younger, he would squeak! So we got used to him coming to the front of the viv and me popping my hand up, he comes over most nights and will clamber straight on. However he is a little boisterous and when on my hand will just climb or run! Normally up my arm to my neck or suddenly freak himself and I quickly make sure my hands lead to his viv!!

There was one incident in where he decided to jump off my hand a few months back and it knocked my confidence but didn't seem to affect him!

My question is, when do geckos mature? Is this normal for his age or is that just his attitude? He is so inquisitive and loves to climb, but I could do without the panic when he legs it!!!!

Any comments appreciated! And here is a pic, just because!
7ad90542bfed0ebbdc77ccfb330f836e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They take about a year I believe
And I believe it's his personality, they get calmer when they get older but it seems to me that the climbing and him wanting to come out like that is just him [emoji5] leopard geckos are very sturdy so don't worry too much just make sure nothing is injured if he falls

He's very cute by the way!

jenandgromit

Thanks - he is ace!

We recently got him a reptile hammock as he is such a climber, thinking of other ways we can put additions to his viv so he can climb more! [emoji3]

indyana

They do most of their growing in the first year, but they still continue to fill out and mature after that. I think of it like the first year is baby through to teen, then second year is teen to a younger adult, then third year is entering prime.

They do tend to mellow out a bit with age, and he'll also learn not to run/jump as much. I try to move slow around them so they aren't startled and use finger pokes to let them know when they are doing something that's going to get them picked up (like peeking over the edge of my shoulder or something). Most of mine have learned to turn around when I put a finger in front of them because they know the next step is being scooped up and moved. Obviously, you want to start this lower to the ground, maybe sitting on a couch or bed.

Visit our friends