Answer the poll

Can you house two female crested geckos together?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zach Simms

I have read many different things about housing Cresties together. I have a unsexed juvenile and an adult female in an enclosure together. Is this bad or no? Answer the poll

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I worry about putting an adult and a juvenile together (unless it's an older juvenile/sub-adult) no matter what the species. Here is my experience putting cresties together:
Female A with Female B: Female A had lived comfortably with a male. I removed the male and introduced Female B who was an adult but somewhat undersized. Female A hassled her and she stopped eating. Female B ultimately died (it was a very heavily planted enclosure and it was hard to tell what was happening, unfortunately, until it was too late).

Female A with daughter Female C: Things started out well, but then I realized that femaleA was chasing Female C around so I removed female A.

Female C with Female D (sub adults both from FemaleA): They did fine together.

FemaleA with Female C and Female D: So far so good. I check them frequently and am usually in the room with them into the early hours of the morning.

Be aware of scratches, chasing in the enclosure and (if this is relevant) tail loss. I keep an empty enclosure in case someone needs some "time off" or permanent separation. Good luck.

Aliza

Zach Simms

I worry about putting an adult and a juvenile together (unless it's an older juvenile/sub-adult) no matter what the species. Here is my experience putting cresties together:
Female A with Female B: Female A had lived comfortably with a male. I removed the male and introduced Female B who was an adult but somewhat undersized. Female A hassled her and she stopped eating. Female B ultimately died (it was a very heavily planted enclosure and it was hard to tell what was happening, unfortunately, until it was too late).

Female A with daughter Female C: Things started out well, but then I realized that femaleA was chasing Female C around so I removed female A.

Female C with Female D (sub adults both from FemaleA): They did fine together.

FemaleA with Female C and Female D: So far so good. I check them frequently and am usually in the room with them into the early hours of the morning.

Be aware of scratches, chasing in the enclosure and (if this is relevant) tail loss. I keep an empty enclosure in case someone needs some "time off" or permanent separation. Good luck.

Aliza

Thank you! I moved the smaller one into a different tank until it gets alittle bit bigger, I’m hoping it’s a male, is it ok to keep females and males together constantly as long as they are ok with eachother?

Zach Simms

I’ve been reading so many different things I just thought some people’s personal experience would be helpful

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you keep a male and a female together you will end up with babies. Often the female buries her eggs and you won't necessarily know where they are until you find a hatchling in the enclosure. Your best bet is to keep them separate if possible, especially the juvenile. Some people worry about keeping a male and female together because they figure the male will wear the female out with mating. I have found that by summer (they start breeding in mid-winter) the males are about done with mating. There is a good chance that if you keep them together someone will lose a tail (the end of the tail, but not the end of the world).

Aliza

Visit our friends