Anybody wants to use sand look here first

robin

i wonder if this is play sand or the calci sand stuff?

those are incredible photos!

W

watspoppin25a

that's horrible i hope this stops all those who think they're doing everything right...

LizMarie

those pictures sure are sad but they've been around for awhile and I've posted them on a few forums myself.

No matter how graphic most people will continue to do what they do even after seeing it :/

Neo.Reptiliac

That sand looked pretty thick. I dont use sand but it makes you wonder if the same thing would happen with a very fine grade of sand

Ratman667

That sand looked pretty thick.

It looks to be the same sand that I keep Fluffy (a scorpion) on. It is supposed to be spherical to minimize the risk of impaction. What I noticed about it, is it clumps when it gets wet.

I don't know what different size sand would do. I was just making an observation.

Gecko Euphoria

This is truely scary, I never use sand on my leos, But it scares me to death on my Knobbies, they need sand and everyone recomends it I wish it was'nt so worry some. I have to worry about this even though I am useing a very fine grained red sand we have out here in southern utah. I have never found a finer grain of sand, But it still scares me, The very best part about the sand is it does'nt harden when wet or damp like all that calci sand does makeing a hard cripy crust. I could only imagine what a mouth full of calci sand looks like once the gecko swallows and takes a drink of water if it hardens like I saw it harden when misting my knobbies while useing it no wonder it impacts. Any way I wish there was a better way to keep knobbies every time I hear this about leos and I know this is about leos I wonder on my Knobbies since there really is'nt alot of difference they are all geckos?

that's horrible i hope this stops all those who think they're doing everything right...

B

BioWorkZ

I still lots of pet shops using sand as the substrate. Poor leos.

dudu312

Very wierd, have my leos on sand since they were 1-2 mouths old.
I'm also using calsuim sand right now, i dont see any problems with it.
Maybe the live food was released on the sand, so when the leopard tried to get the food, he would swollow some sand too...

P

project1

i to have never had problems with sand iv kept beardies and leos on it for a few yrs now i just changed out recently cuz i was tired of poop scoopen it the paper towels are just easier to clean.

LizMarie

Not every animal that is kept on play sand/ calcium sand will experience impaction its just a possibility especially with calcium sand since it clumps and there's so much calcium that leos don't have enough time to digest it.

Chibii

A Bright Reptile
How old was the gecko? Poor thing.. Their should be a sticky that shows the dangers of sand. Whit those photo's.

Visit our friends