Anyone else use dog shoes? Where did you get yours?

biggiy05

Determination
I have been looking for the past hour and had no luck finding some dog booties that are either big enough for Roxy or didn't cost a fortune.

I'm looking for something to protect Roxy's paws in the winter from the snow and salt on the ground. I also want to protect her in the summer while on the hot pavement and general wear and tear.

Once I get the clearance from my doctor that my shoulder has healed we will start running again. We run a good 3-4 miles every day so I want to keep Roxy safe. We got something from ******** but they didn't work at all. They didn't fit her but they were the right size.

Thanks everyone!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Dog booties are an odd thing. Some dogs can't stand them others could care less, a good alternative if your dog is the type that is uncomfortable in them is musher's balm. Pretty much does teh same thing with out the annoying bootie.

mushers_secret.jpg

And any time I need to order dog supplies on line I always go to jefferspets.com They have the BEST prices on just abuot anything you would need. http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/search_results.asp?CID=0&mscssid=6839SJ9HLL0R9K91Q2VBWKEM1AED7NMF&keywords=dog%20booties&cmkw=dog%20booties

I find the neoprene ones (wet suit material) tend to work best, and a velco strap that goes across the top of the paw rather than around the ankle, but straps BOTH ways would be great. Also anything you find on a musher's site is almost guaranteed to be a good product such as these: http://www.prolitegear.com/granite_gear_mush_dog_booties.html
granite_gear_mush_dog_booties_lg.jpg

or a nice tall bootie that alleviates any problems with slipping off: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?cPath=118

bx-bo.jpg

Last edited:

biggiy05

Determination
Thanks Kel! Roxy wasn't a big fan of the booties we got from the store. I'm not sure if it's because they didn't fit properly or if she doesn't like them. That balm may be what I end up with but I would like to find something to protect her feet since I don't know much about the balm or how long it lasts.

Any suggestions about stores I can take Roxy to for boots? It would be a lot easier to try them on with her there or at least have an idea what works.

Last edited:

goReptiles

Try the balm. It'll be easier for her to get used to.

I tried a shoe for my APBT to help her from slipping after she had to have her leg amputated. She hated it and walked like a cat until we took them off. It made everything worse.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I pulled this off their site for you http://www.musherssecret.net/index1.html and I would say tha tunless you train a dog from puppyhood to be use to the feeling of booties it can be quite stressful for them to adapt later in life. I also think you would have great success with the Musher's Secret. I know in Ohio a lot of the stuff they use to salt is brine water (basically salt water), ash and sand. They really only use the actual "Salt" on teh highways. Even the rural roads use the brine ash sand solutions (I have a lot of friends in Ohio since I live right on the border and I do a lot of rabbit shows in Ohio as well) and whatever people are using on their sidewalks would be barriered by the balm. Also just keeping a box of baby wipes near the door when you come in and wiping the paws off will help which you should do anyway even if you use the balm since if your dog licks their paws even with the balm on they run the risk of ingesting whatever de-icer they used.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I purchase Musher's Secret?
In Ohio:

Bill Boatman & Co. 937-981-0648 Greenfield www.billboatmancoinc.com
Diggity Dog Salon 440-582-7777 North Royalton
Grateful Dog Bakery 440-353-1990 North Ridgeville www.gratefuldogbakery.com
Pawsitively Pure LTD. 440-717-1145 Broadview Heights www.pawsitivelypure.com

How often should I use Musher's Secret?
It depends on the activity level of your dog.
Mushers will "walk off"
in about a week.
In snowy conditions,
I use it 2-3 times a week
(we walk 2 miles a day)

In snowy weather, be sure to spread Mushers up in between the pads
to prevent snowballing.

Is it ok if my dog licks his paws after I
apply Mushers?

Absolutely, dogs like the taste,
and ingredients
are all 100% natural waxes.
I usually apply just before we go out.

Is Musher's Secret just for the winter?
Definitely not.
Mushers protects from hot pavement
and sand as well as any
irritants your pet may walk through.
We have many customers
in Arizona and California.

Will Mushers stain my clothes or carpet?
No. Mushers is absorbed into the pads
and will not leave stains on your
carpets or furniture.
What happens if my dog eats Musher's Secret?

Other than a mild laxative effect,
Mushers will not harm you pet if he eats it.

One customer called to say her dog had eaten
an entire 200 gram jar and other than
"pooping candles" the next day, had no
ill effects.

Visit our friends