Anyone ever built multiple housing units(not a rack but similiar)

Sasha2

Right now I have a rack system, its homemade and rather lame but works.
I only have 9 adult leos and would like to make housing units that had glass or plexiglass fronts so I can look in and see them. I just love watching my leos and opaque plastic bins sucks the fun out of it. And this would leave the bins for juvenile housing.

I cant imagine it could be that difficult. Im currently building two 6x2x2 cages for snakes and would like the leos cages to stack on top.
Any one have any pictures or ideas on a multiple cage system?

I dont like tanks because our house runs cold and its just so hard to keep glass tanks the right temps without insulating them. Plus they dont stack and are heavy.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The simplest thing to build, I think, is to get a shelf unit (or something you could put on top of your snake cage) and use front-opening tanks for the geckos. If you're worried about them being cold, you could cover 3 sides with quilted fabric. There are some nice half-height front-opening cages at Glasscages.com - Home (the "stackable" tanks).

Here's another idea, something I bought a few years ago:

The builder took large tubs and screwed them into some wood strips, then added 1/4" pieces of glass to make sliding doors. I have my 4.8 breeding group in these cages.

Aliza

tb144050

How "clear" does plexiglass or other similar materials look? For my first multi-habitat structure, I am considering:

$20 Medium Rubbermaid storage drawer system
$35 OPTIX Acrylic sheet (or similar)
$?? flexwatt

Design: Remove the front of the drawers, and use packing tape on outside to attach a clear front window. Drill holes in all sides for air circulation.

Opinions? Suggestions?

OPTIX 36 in. x 48 in. x .093 in. Acrylic Sheet-MC-09 at The Home Depot

Sasha2

thanks, thats an interesting idea with the tubs.Not sure if Im handy enough to make that but I could sure try..

Sasha2

Leos arent going to scratch up the plexiglass. If they do it would be minimal.
Around here plexiglass is more expensive then getting a piece of real glass cut to fit so thats a better option for me anyway.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I didn't mean the leos would necessarily scratch the plexiglass, but frequent cleaning may scratch it.

Aliza

Sasha2

Oh okay, I was wondering how an itty bitty leo could do much damage to the plastic(lol)
I would prefer plexi. its lighter then glass and doesnt break.Id rather have scratches then chips and breaks.

Visit our friends