Anyone tried using liquid vitamins?

D_K

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but I did do some searching first. I however didn't find anything. So, the situation is that I have a juvie leopard gecko. He has quite the affinity for mealworms. The issue is that any sort of dust supplement don't stick worth a darn to the things as I am sure all of you know. For calcium I can leave him a little dish but for vitamins I was wondering about spraying the mealworms down once or twice a week with Fluker's Liquid Vitamin? Anyone have any thoughts on this? :main_huh:

JordanAng420

I looked at the ingredients in that at one point. I don't remember which ingredient it was that made me nervouse, but know I wouldn't trust it at ALL with my leos.

D_K

Wow, interesting... well I hope that the ICB stuff works as well for mealworms as it does for crickets. Also, for the record, here is the list of ingredients in the Fluker's Liquid Vitamin (as best as I can read it from the cell phone pic I took):

Vitamins:
-niacin
-dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate
-D-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D-3)
-calcium pantothenate
-ascorbic acid
-riboflavin
-menadione sodium bisulfite complex
-pyridoxine hydrochloride
-thiamine mononitrate
-D-biotin
-folic acid
-vitamin B-12

Minerals:
-sodium bicarbonate
-potassium chloride
-magnesium sulfate
-manganese sulfate
-zinc sulfate
-copper sulfate
-ethylene diamine dihydriodide

Amino acids:
-L-glutamic acid
-L-aspartic acid
-L-leucine
-L-valine
-L-serine
-L-lysine
-L-alanine
-L-phenylalanine
-L-arginine
-L-isoleucine
-L-threonine
-L-tyrosine
-L-proline
-DL-methionine
-glycine
-L-cystine
-L-histidine
-L-tryptophan

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Some believe vitamins in liquid form get absorbed quicker and easier by the body than powdered form but i know from most if not all liquid supplements that they degrade over time in water into it's waste product.

Personally i stick to good old vitamin powder for my reptiles, cheap and affective imo.

Just my 2 c.
-

Darren

strobe

get a little spray bottle with adjustable tip, set the tip to spray very fine fog water.
spray the mealies with it and roll them in the vitamin dust, then it sticks 2 the worm.
i do this with my crickets :D

erik

Gecko Newbie
I use Exo Terra Calcium liquid supplement as well as Electrolyte&Vitamin D3 liquid supplement in their drinking bowl and occasionally i roll some mealies in vitamin/calcium powder.

erik

Gecko Newbie
hey Strobe, i know that I should only use a tiny bit, i put one drop in a big glass of water and then i fill up the drinking tubs with that water...

thanks though!

D_K

Well some how I ended up with two juvies now... weird how that happens.:p

I am not sure how young they are (they are 10 grams a piece) but they seem happy enough and hungry enough. Half of the issue though is trying to separate the fact from fiction on taking care of them. Anyways, I think I will adopt a 3 part food prep procedure similar to what you suggest strobe: Part 1, gut load with Fluker's High-Calcium Cricket Feed and carrots. Part 2, grab the amount for that night's dinner and spritz the little buggers with some water. Part 3, put the wet little buggers in another container and sprinkle them with some ICB (I just found that spritzing and sprinkling in same container results in mini calcium pebbles).

I figure if I do that Mon-Fri and give them some un-dusted pin-heads on the weekend, the little leopards should be nice and healthy... and their 'presents' so far seem to agree.:D

Saphira

I don't want to hear this...sigh. We have been using the liquid... It is easier than the powder for the worms anyway... guess I will have to get some powder..

Visit our friends