anything better? (substrate)

S

sportbike_rob

substrate questions.......i been using flukers all natural moss, there are pro's and cons to this stuff.

pros: easy to clean up when he messes (just remove some of it along with the poo, and fill in the spot with new.)
very pleasing to the eyes.
holds moisture very well.
he seems to love it.

cons: super pain in the butt to change.
hard to get even temps throughout the warm and cool spots. (hard to get really even, the different thicknesses casues hotter and cooler spots in the warm spot)

i was wondering if anybody can suggest something a little easier to change that is still easy to clean after he poo's, pleasing to the eyes and also easier to get even temps throughout the warm spot. i was thinking that repti carpet stuff, and still use the moss in his moist hide, but when he poos, it probably wouldnt be as sanitry, because you cant remove the whole section of substrate that he pooed in and replace with new. any suggestions?:main_huh: or is the moss just fine?

or would it be fine to just leave the moss substrate in there longer? being that i remove some of the substrate with the poos he makes, do i still have to change it every two weeks, or can i leave it longer? its a pain in the butt to change....thats why i ask...

Last edited by a moderator:

ReptileMan27

I use coco fiber, that seems to work pretty good for my AFT. It however is a little more then most other subtrate because they come in blocks and you have to soak it in water so it expands. The easiest thing to use would be paper towels or newspaper.

L

LadyGecko

I use paper towels but I don't see why you could not use tiles for your aft's tank
They would look really nice-heat evenly and be very easy to clean
I personally would not cover the entire bottom of my tank with moss-but that's just me

Sandy

S

sportbike_rob

ceramic tile sounds good, i might give that a try and then use the moss for his moist hide. im sure ot will be alot easier to clean than the moss.

Visit our friends