Are beanstalks safe for chameleons?

tibi

Hi, I recently got a veiled chameleon and haven't quite finished setting up the terrarium with live plants. I've filled it so far with curly willow branches and two japanese roses. I would like something that would grow up the branches and then I got the idea to plant some beanstalks. Do you think they are safe? (Phaseolus vulgaris)

Olympus

Biologist & Ecologist
Congrats on the new chameleon! Is it a male or female?

I actually have no idea, but their vines aren't particularly thick and strong, it might be fine for a baby but they may not hold up a 200 gram adult. Look into pothos/devil's ivy, they do super well under typical chameleon cage parameters (with typical chameleon lighting, lots of misting, etc.) and grow very long vines that you can train to climb over the branches.

Veileds also love hibiscus plants, although these are much harder to keep alive indoors. But some people keep two and rotate them, having one in the cage a couple weeks and then the other one outdoors meanwhile. Veileds love them because they find their leaves and flowers delicious to eat (and they are actually really nutritious, so it's a win-win!) Ficus or umbrella plants are other very popular choices for chameleon cages, but they aren't as interesting to eat.

If you want to see examples of chameleon cages here are a few of mine as examples: http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html

Last edited:

tibi

It's a juvenile male. Yeah i also had pothos in mind, verigated ficus benjamina, fern and chamaeodorea elegans. I generally prefer small leafed green plants in the terrarium.

Visit our friends