are tokays good pets

Z

Zorq

im realy thinking about buying some tokay geckos and i was wondering what you guys think of them from what i see i love them

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
They make GREAT pets unless you want to touch them! They are known to be defensively viscious. They are very beautiful, but not meant to be handled.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Usually not. They WILL bite, and they bite HARD and hang on for a l-o-n-g time before letting go. It makes for a bloody, very painful mess! It is extremely rare to ba able to tame a Tokay.

D

dsreptiles

There ARE tame Tokays out there I just forget who sells them. But there are some CBB tame Tokays just expect to pay way more for them. But one of the cool things about tokays are there attitude.

bittner_344

www.theurbanreptile.com
you can get them as babies and they are definatley tame-able... but most adults are really nasty, and you wouldent want a tokay giving you a bit...ouch
-brett

N

Nastynotch

Golden Gate Geckos said:
Usually not. They WILL bite, and they bite HARD and hang on for a l-o-n-g time before letting go. It makes for a bloody, very painful mess! It is extremely rare to ba able to tame a Tokay.

I had to break out the leather gloves to even think about handling the one i was housing here for a while. thank god that b!%#h wasnt mine

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
I love tokays, the bite can be very nasty but like any animal you have to learn to "read its intentions". Ive also had some not so pretty bites from leos, now nothing like the nasty a tokay can pass out to you but I love tokays all the same.

They are wonderful to watch!

D

dizzmaldan420

I'm one of the people that think pretty much anything can be "tamed" if you start with a baby and put some time into it. I've seen 5 foot alligators that would just lay calmly in their owners arms cradled like a baby. Tokays are definitely awesome looking lizards and I think it'd be worth a few bites to end up with a big fat tokay that acts more like a leo.

brandy101010

I have a Tokay. I only touch him when I have too. I'm actually thinking of changing his tank to a cage with sliding glass doors so It will be easier to care for him with out touching him so much lol. I have heard that they can be tamed with a lot of work. They are beautiful and are great for a display animal.

John N

JCN Reptiles
I had Tokays for years, got out of them and now getting back into them. They make wonderful DISPLAY pets. I actually just got a tame male from dizzmaldan.
Picture667.jpg

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
When we were renting a house it had a huge roach problem so we set our Tokay free in the house and it ended the bug problem. When we were moving Keith tried to catch it for two weeks and couldn't. So now the new tennant has an EXTREMELY well fed male tokay as a "pet". Our old landlord called when the new tennant realized he had a roommate so we explained what had happened. Once the guy understood that it wouldn't attack him in his sleep he was pretty excited to have him there. I bet there still aren't any roaches!

ReptileMan27

I love tokays, had a pair for years but they recently passed away :(. They are one of the most beutiful species of geckos in the world and overlooked because of their nasty dispositions. They are display animals but fun to watch. If your looking for something to hold then a tokay isnt right for you.

V

vierfleck

Hello,

we are keeping a group of 1,2 Tokay.Everytime i open the viv,i touch the male on his tail or body and he never bites.He is not tame and not agressive.

If i grab him,he will bite me for sure,just like any other gecko,who does not want to be touched. If a mad grandis bites you,he will not open his mouth for some time,just like a tokay,but the tokay has a bigger head;) .

Once i was bitten from my female Blaesodactylus boivini( Madagascar giant gecko),and that hurts:bigcry:

Greetings

Matthias

Visit our friends