Arrgghh! First hatchlings help!

Mungall

Hey :)
Well this was this females 2nd clutch, her first was infertile so i didnt have high hopes of these hatching but i incubated them anyway.
Well i checked on them today and to my surprise, 1 was out and running about the tub! well my excitement quickly turned to worry as there was some large balloon shaped thing hanging of his bottom (is this a yolk sack) anyway, as he was running about it fell off! :main_huh: 'MORE CONFUSED NOW :main_huh: Is this normal?

Now to the 2nd egg, the egg is pipped, has 2 tiny slits on it but there no more movement, its been pipped for about an hour now. is this also normal?

many thanks sorry about the Q's but i have newbie hatchling worries:D

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
1st one had a yolk sac which came off. It's fine. Second one may take its time coming out. THere is always a faint chance the baby isn't strong enough to hatch and will not make it out of the egg (hopefully it's out by now), but it's probably for the best to let it succeed or fail on its own. If you haven't seen it already, check out "care and feeding of gecko hatchlings", on of the recent articles on Gecko Time (www.geckotime.com).

Aliza

ALiza

Mungall

Thanks, im relieved for the first one! :D

the 2nd one still isn't out yet, starting to worry now. would you suggest i open it, if it pipped it would it not mean its ready anyway, although i fear the worst :(

Mungall

Well I decided to open the egg after it still not coming out many hours after it had pipped.
Opened the egg to find a fully formed little leo :( i had a feeling it wouldn't be alive.
What did surprise me was the head of the hatchling was at the oposite end of the egg which was pipped :main_huh:
I know its a long shot but do you think maybe the clutch mate could have cut the egg? and this little guy wasn't ready to come out?

either way its a sad loss :(

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm sorry the second one didn't work out. The other guy could have done it, or the guy in the egg could have pipped it and then turned around. If it wasnt' strong enough to get out, it's for the best (a few more days wouldn't have mattered, I don't think). I"ve had a few that really shouldn't have survived hatching, I did my best but they died and that was more heartbreaking than if they'd just not made it to begin with.

Aliza

Kellyr

Andrew, I'm glad your first guy made it!! and sorry about your second..

I had five eggs from one of my females this year, four of which pipped and didnt move around much.. I helped them out by splitting the egg and pushing them a bit and they are all healthy are thriving now (one had an issue but is all better!!) So who knows if they would have made it out on their own or not...
I didnt know when I "helped" if I was interfering and it would have negative results... but they are ok now.. by they way all five from that mother didnt fully absorb their yolk sacs and had them attached at first.... then came off later...

There is no way to know for sure what you should do... so dont feel bad.
My first clutch ever- one egg was stuck to the lay box and I was too scared to try to remove it- it was fertile and ended up drying out and dying because I didnt... its a learning experience- even if its sad sometimes its worth it

Last edited:

Mungall

Thanks for the help and kind words Aliza and Kelly.
Im still pretty gutted about the little guy, i just tried to let nature take its course but it soon became apparent that it was too late, im not sure anything could have been done to save him. Its just one of thoses things i guess :(

On a positive note, ive hatched a healthy little leo in my first season of breeding so im happy :)

heres a little pic too, he hasnt even hissed or screamed like i thought he would, doesn't seem bothered by me at all. i believe hes a little normal from a NormalxEnigma pairing ;)

IMG_0557.jpg

Andrew

GeckoNub

Lovely little baby :) Sorry about the 2nd one :(

Im no expert but it looks like a thermostat probe and a thermometer probe :) With all the moisture im guessing they sprayed the tank a little before taking the pic.

Visit our friends