Assisting in a shed

R

RedBeastMage

I came home from work to see one of my girls in mid-shed. Her body and limbs seemed to be done, but her head was still in shed. I was excited to see it, and went on to make dinner. Now almost 2 hours later she's still has the shed on her face (from just above her eyes down her face). And she'd up and actively rubbing against the floor and hides. Should I help her? I already added extra moisture to the moist hide hoping that will help. She was standing in the water dish, so I assume the water is what she wants.

If I help her, whats the best way to assist? I assuming using a moist paper towel or cloth to saturate the shedding areas then gently peeling it off. I'm still a new owner, and I've only had her for 2 weeks so i want to make sure I'm doing things right.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Try using a cotton but wet the end and in a curling moting go from tail end towards the nose, while curling the bud inbetween your fingers.

B

BioWorkZ

I use a tweezer and carefully remove the excess shed. The hardest part to help in shedding are the toes. I read this somewhere on this forum...but I would get 1/2 inch of warm water and soak my leo in there for about 10 minutes. The water will get cold fast and I don't want my leo to get too cold. Once the shed is nice and soaked, it's much easier to peel off. I was suggest the same thing for your leo even if it's only on the head. Another method of mind is to place the leo in their humid hide and mist the hide while their inside. They don't seem to like it much and arch their backs like a cat would do, but this aids in removing the excess shed too. Moisture is the key.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
You can just wet a piece of tissue paper and wipe on the retained shed; the skin will soften once it meets water. Then you can either use a q-tip, tweezers, or even your fingers to gently pull it off for her. If the skin will not come off when you gently pull, then maybe it is not ready to come off. Give her a couple days and try again later.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I just use my fingers to pull off the shed, especially near the head or eyes. I don't like getting tweezers near a gecko's eyes.

Aliza

R

RedBeastMage

Thanks for all the advice. I don't feel comfortable holding aNything near their faces like tweezers or a Qtip so I just handeled her until she calmed down then gently wet and rubbed her nose until it loosened. Then I grabbed the loose end and let her pull forward to remove the access shed.

Visit our friends