Average weights for amyae and levis

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
How much should an adult amyae male weight? I got mine from Steve (geckosetc), he said the average is around 30-35g for adult males, but mine is already 46.5g and still gaining every time I weigh him. Is this normal?

How about adult levis male? Mine finally reached 20g last night after fluctuating between 16-18g for almost 8 months. They are both a little over 1 year old.

SFgeckos

Wow! That is a very large male amyae. I would definitely agree that the average male is in the "under 40" gram range. I'm not knocking you at all, but something to think about is the correlation of obesity and how it affects longevity/life span. I know it can be hard to resist feeding those big begging hungry gecko eyes!

I feed most of my adult male knobs 1-4 roaches per week. I once had a monster 40g+ N. levis levis female and although she was massive and a great eater- she was a poor breeder and only lived just past 7 years. I still have some healthy, average sized (30-35g) offspring produced that same year as her thriving at over a decade. Sometimes bigger isn't always better? Most of the reptiles I've had a chance to necropsy showed signs of hepatic lipidosis due to overfeeding/lack of exercise in captivity.

If you ever watch that movie "Super size me", it's a great human demonstration of how high fat/increased calorie intake has extreme negative effects on the body. Just my thoughts

Jon

knobguy

Wow! That is a very large male amyae. I would definitely agree that the average male is in the "under 40" gram range. I'm not knocking you at all, but something to think about is the correlation of obesity and how it affects longevity/life span. I know it can be hard to resist feeding those big begging hungry gecko eyes!

I feed most of my adult male knobs 1-4 roaches per week. I once had a monster 40g+ N. levis levis female and although she was massive and a great eater- she was a poor breeder and only lived just past 7 years. I still have some healthy, average sized (30-35g) offspring produced that same year as her thriving at over a decade. Sometimes bigger isn't always better? Most of the reptiles I've had a chance to necropsy showed signs of hepatic lipidosis due to overfeeding/lack of exercise in captivity.

If you ever watch that movie "Super size me", it's a great human demonstration of how high fat/increased calorie intake has extreme negative effects on the body. Just my thoughts

Jon

Great information Jon. I myself am an overfeeder but that might subject to change after reading this.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Ok then, confirmed I have a huge male. Honestly, he doesn't look fat to me at all, just a very big head...I'll try to take a picture of him tonight. I feed him every second day, and he eats about 3-4 medium crickets every time.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I just went to take some pictures of him; and he has lost some weight since I last weighed him which was on 10 Oct. He shed a couple days ago; I think he might have maxed out at around 45g.

Sparta_101710_01.jpg

Sparta_101710_02.jpg

Sparta_101710_04.jpg

Do you think I should cut down his food? He doesn't look fat to me, but I could be wrong since he is the only amyae I've seen in real life. Plus I'm used to how leopard gecko looks...

Ollie May

I have the exact opposite problem. My crested gecko Lenny is 11 months old and only weighs 16 grams!!!!!:eek: What do i do?

Visit our friends