Baby gecko ate, regurgitated, now wont eat again

aria

A few days ago i posted about how my baby gecko ate mealworms the first day i got it and regurgitated them. Every night after that, ive offered it food and it keeps seems disinterested in it. Ive also kept some meal worms in a small dish overnight but it hasnt touched a single one. It looks healthy and has been a lot more active recently, should i still be concerned? I know its pretty normal for baby geckos to not want to eat but i'm worried because it regurgitated. Its about a week old at this point and i dont know how long it should go without eating and i really hope somethings not up with the little guy. :eek:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
when you say it's a week old do you mean that you've had it a week, or that it hatched in your home a week ago?
It's not unusual for a week-old hatchling to sometimes get a slow start. I've had a number of hatchlings lag far behind their clutch mates in size and desire to eat, only to catch up later.
You can try holding the gecko gently in one hand and poking a mealworm at its mouth with the other. Most young geckos will bite anything that comes at them this way, and hopefully it will eat the mealworm.

Aliza

aria

when you say it's a week old do you mean that you've had it a week, or that it hatched in your home a week ago?
It's not unusual for a week-old hatchling to sometimes get a slow start. I've had a number of hatchlings lag far behind their clutch mates in size and desire to eat, only to catch up later.
You can try holding the gecko gently in one hand and poking a mealworm at its mouth with the other. Most young geckos will bite anything that comes at them this way, and hopefully it will eat the mealworm.

Aliza
He's a week old, sorry for the confusion. And i've also tried the hand feeding thing twice and it still seems really uninterested in it. :(

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Just keep offering and try hand feeding on occasion. I've had very stubborn hatchlings that didn't eat for ages and, although a few just wasted away, most of them got the hang of it eventually (in some cases, it was months)

Aliza

Visit our friends