Baby Gecko - Not Eating

Geckomaster743

My baby gecko has stopped eating recently in the past week and has lost all interest in food. She hadn't eaten for the first 3 days, when i thought she had crypto i had put her in a small box with heat. The next day she was ravenous for food and ate as much as she could that day ( 3 Mealworms, Next Day 2 Wax Worms ). And just when i thought she was recovering she's begun to stop eating again. I don't know what the problem is. I cleaned her cage and threw out all the moss, She has ALOT of space, She has water and a place to sleep... I just don't get it. Today is the second day in a row since she has stopped eating and i think I'm going to go back to Repta - Aid because that was some thing I also did before i quarantined her. Hopefully she will get better but I'm really trying with the Waxworms too keep up her fat levels. She lost her tail last month and its still not fully regenerated to the point where she can continue to gain fat and have skin on the tail. Any suggestions on what to do?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Are her temps high enough? You said in quarantine her temps were elevated and she was hungry...

Khenut

Honestly, I think the best thing you could do for her is take her to a vet. That was my last resort for baby Shesmu, and although it didn't work out- I at least knew I had done all I could for her. Be sure to take a fecal sample as well- they will be able to tell if there are any parasites or not.
Also, I think you will have a better chance if you take care of this earlier. I waited until my baby was very thin before I panicked and took her in, and that may have lowered her chances of survival. Good luck, though. I hope it isn't a parasite, but if it is there may be some treatments to put her on.

Geckomaster743

Honestly, I think the best thing you could do for her is take her to a vet. That was my last resort for baby Shesmu, and although it didn't work out- I at least knew I had done all I could for her. Be sure to take a fecal sample as well- they will be able to tell if there are any parasites or not.
Also, I think you will have a better chance if you take care of this earlier. I waited until my baby was very thin before I panicked and took her in, and that may have lowered her chances of survival. Good luck, though. I hope it isn't a parasite, but if it is there may be some treatments to put her on.
Well she begun eating again but its weird, Every 3 Days she eats and when i drop in food she's mainly scared of my hand first. Yesterday she felt hungry so i was able to give her 2 Wax worms and 2 Mealworms so she's staying sort of fat and i don't see much of a decrease in her tail. I don't think i'd be able to take her to a vet even though she means so much to me she's just a pet to my parents and not like family. " Buying me another one isn't going to make me happy ". So a trip to the vet is sort of out of the question if the examination is like 300$. Though lately I've been doing tests with her like too see if quarantining her in to smaller space would help, Lowering or Raising Heat, and then i tried Repta - Aid. Apparently every time i feed it to her she gets Hungry. It appears that almost 3 hours after it takes effect and she has the urge to eat. That one time i fed her Repta Aid before bed probably made her hungry in the next 3 hours so maybe she felt like she was starving all night which made her crazy for the mealworms. As long as she eats with Repta - Aid and she can fight what ever she has off I think i'll be good but i'll see on getting her to a vet.

Caleb C

If it eats every 2-3 days, it should be fine. If it doesn't eat for a whole week, then there's a problem. I try not to use repta-aid when I don't have to, since it's not necessary. I always feed with forceps, and when mine doesn't eat, I just put two mealworms in a dish in there overnight, and they're gone in the morning. I also leave them inside and don't handle them if they're not eating.

Geckomaster743

Well she just shaded and is still refusing food which means she's probably full on shed that she ate earlier. I think that she will want to eat later today but i normally don't give her a lot of Repta - Aid. I just have too because of her small tail and she's really small.

Visit our friends