Baby gecko not eating

Roo

I’ve had my baby Chinese Cave Gecko for 1 week and he hasn’t eaten anything. I’ve been offering 2 small crickets every other day per the breeder’s instructions. I thought they were being eaten but when I took everything out of the enclosure this morning to do a thorough cleaning all 6 were still in there (hiding under the paper towels). I tried putting my gecko into a shoebox with a couple crickets for an hour, just in case he was having trouble chasing them down in his enclosure, but when I took him out he still hadn’t eaten any. I’m new to this species and all the other reptiles I’ve had in the past, including Leo’s which are somewhat similar, have been voracious eaters as babies so I’ve never had to deal with this problem before.
Enclosure is a 20 gallon long with a screen top, partitioned to a 12x12” section with 2 hides and a water bowl. Temp is around 73. I have been lightly misting the enclosure 3 times a day. I have been handling my gecko for 5 minutes every day, so perhaps he’s stressed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sorry, I have no experience with cave geckos. Sometimes a gecko in a new space won't eat for awhile and 1 week isn't out of the norm. You could try holding it and poking a feeder at its mouth. Many juvenile geckos will bite at anything that comes near the mouth, so it may eat the feeder. Otherwise, you should consider contacting the breeder.

Aliza

Visit our friends