Bad experience with AmericanCricketRanch.com

R

Russ S

While attempting to find a new supplier for insects a friend recomended we try AmericanCricketRanch.com. The following is an account of the less than satisfactory experience.

Our order:
View attachment 277
This does not include shipping.
Upon arrival the insects were unpacked and found in the following condition:

DSCN7731.jpg

DSCN7727.jpg

DSCN7716.jpg

DSCN7713.jpg

The Crickets, which we didn't get a picture of, were a total loss as they had all escaped from the package. The mealworms were shipped in the same box as the crix, in a loosly tied bag that at a minum half had escaped from. What you see in the last picture is what was left of the mealies. As you can see, the mealworms were old and already beginning to pupate.

At that time we sent the first e-mail about the problem:

Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:35:15 -0500
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7 (Windows/20050923)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Your Order at American Cricket Ranch.com #13400
References: <[email protected]>
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="------------040901070303050909020009"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

we recieved out order today and were very disatisfied. the mealies came
in mostly dead. the packaging was horrible. the cvrickets and mealies
were mixxed together because crickets were escaping from the boxws. the
giant mealies .. alot are dead. my husband has not even got to the
supers yet. you did not give us an option on shipping you said in
extreme weather you would pick the best shipping. if you would have
given me the choice i would have chosen next day, i mean considering we
are in texas and all. i was given your name by a very good friend on
mine marcia mc guiness from golden gate geckos and i have been looking
for another carrier for insects but after seeing this and the lack of
comunication as far as shipping and when they were going to be shipped
and through what service and how poorly the bugs looks and the packaging
looks. i have photos if you would like. but i would like a refund.
im sorry this transaction had to go this way but it was very
unprofessional and of sybpar quality overall.
-robin struck

Robin also tried to call him the next day, but there was no answer.

After recieving no reply, we e-mailed again on saturday with the following:

Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:20:22 -0500
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7 (Windows/20050923)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Your Order at American Cricket Ranch.com #13400
References: <[email protected]> <[email protected]>
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="------------020405070900060109080303"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

i have yet to get a responce and a refund. i have spoken with marcia
about this as well and she told me that she was going to contact you, as
you have replied to her since i recieved my order yet have not replied
to mine. i would like a refund.
here are the photos taken the day the packages were recieved.
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/robin_000/american cricket ranch 6-21-06/
she has also seen them and says her order came in the same way and
apparantly you are sending her out a new order however i do not want a
new order shipped out, rather a refund including the shipping charges
thank you
robin struck

If you click on the link in the above e-mail you will see more pictures of the insects and the condition in wich they arrived.

these are their shipping policies:

American Cricket Ranch Shipping Policies

Shipping to areas with temperatures over 90 degrees, we will do our best to deliver live but there will not be a guarantee unless specified AM Over Night Delivery in the note section of your order.
Shipping methods offered by American Cricket Ranch

* Overnight (Extreme Weather)
* Standard 2nd day by UPS
* UPS Ground (CA, AZ, NV, UT only)
* UPS Third Day

All orders will be shipped UPS. We must reserve the right to ship as needed due to weather but will make every effort to ship as you wish. We now offer third day UPS to save even more on your order.(ships only Monday and Tuesday)

Extreme Weather - American Cricket Ranch will use all neccessary means to insure that your shipment arrives in good condition. In the event of a loss American Cricket Ranch will reship your order free of product charge. (you will be required to pay for the additional shipping cost) Please call 619-561-7327 for alternative methods of shipping if you live in extreme weather areas. Extreme weather areas are defined as above 90 degrees F and below 50 degrees F nighttime. American Cricket Ranch may upgrade your shipping to insure that product arrives safely.

A link to the weather here the day they arrived:
http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA
(Scroll down for temps at different times thruought the day)
Although the weather did go into the 90s here on the day they arrived,before noon when they were delivered it was just below 90 degrees.

As of yesterday I hadn't recieved a refund or any other response.

I decided to call again today, and while on the phone checked the bank and found that a refund in the amount of $41.72 of the $104.97 spent had been posted.

If this is the way their customer service is going to be with a new customer, i couldn't possibly refer them to anyone I know.

With over 100 geckos and other assorted insectavores, it is critical that we find a supplier that will go out of their way to make things right when there is a problem.

This is out experience, You be the judge.

Russell Struck
Robin Struck

Last edited by a moderator:

robin

thats who i normally use but they have been backed up lately .. thats why i was looking for a backup source

R

RoseT

Jeez, you must of been mad when you got that whatever it is....Ball of rotten mealworms! Yummy! Hope everything works out good and you get your money back!

robin

RoseT said:
Jeez, you must of been mad when you got that whatever it is....Ball of rotten mealworms! Yummy! Hope everything works out good and you get your money back!
he only gave us a "refund" of $41.72 out of $104.77 spent (including shipping) on crap feeders. the thing is even though i wanted a full refund including shipping (if he was sending out old bugs and the horrible packaging i honestly did not want any of his buigs). he never even contacted me ONCE not even to say ... well can i send you out a new order, nothing what so ever. absolutely no comunication. and i would assume if it was not for marcia we would not have gotten back the measly $41.72 for this pile of crap feeders.

R

RoseT

Only 41.71? Thats so stupid :main_angry: We were looking for some where to order crickets from too... lol I now know where we are NOT going to order them from! AmericanCrickets :main_thumbsdown: :main_thumbsdown: Two thumbs down!:main_angry:

R

Russ S

This was his e-mail response to my post...

and my e-mail to him reguarding my post:

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:55:27 -0400
Subject: Re: Recent order

We are sorry your experience was not satisfactory. We felt we were very generous in refunding half of your order upon receiving word of the problem. As with any live product delivery there are issue out of our control and things do happen. We do everything possible to establish a very good relationship with our customers. In Temperatures of late we do not warranty live delivery as posted in our shipping page. We have no recourse with the shipping companies to recover any monies.
Once again we met you half way in the problem and we didn't have to refund anything. We did it as a good will gesture.

AMERICAN CRICKET RANCH.COM

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:21:20 -0500
Subject: Recent order

.AOLPlainTextBody { margin: 0px; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif; font-size: 12px; color: #000; background-color: #fff; } .AOLPlainTextBody pre { font-size: 9pt; } .AOLInlineAttachment { margin: 10px; } .AOLAttachmentHeader { border-bottom: 2px solid #E9EAEB; background: #F9F9F9; } .AOLAttachmentHeader .Title { font: 11px Tahoma; font-weight: bold; color: #666666; background: #E9EAEB; padding: 3px 0px 1px 10px; } .AOLAttachmentHeader .FieldLabel { font: 11px Tahoma; font-weight: bold; color: #666666; padding: 1px 10px 1px 9px; } .AOLAttachmentHeader .FieldValue { font: 11px Tahoma; color: #333333; } -->
-->
This is to inform you that the following has been posted in the business section of www.geckoforums.net in reguards to our recent business.

http://www.geckoforums.net/showpost.php?p=5691&postcount=1

Please feel free to respond either in the forum or to this e-mail

Thank you for your time,

Russell Struck

robin

1. "We felt we were very generous in refunding half of your order upon receiving word of the problem" it took him 9 days to even get that partial refund

2 "We do everything possible to establish a very good relationship with our customers. " no communication what so ever, no answer to emails.. if thats what customer service is i dont want to know what they think bad customer service is

3. "In Temperatures of late we do not warranty live delivery as posted in our shipping page." our temps fell under the ones specified. therefor a full refund should be in order

"All orders will be shipped UPS. We must reserve the right to ship as needed due to weather but will make every effort to ship as you wish. We now offer third day UPS to save even more on your order.(ships only Monday and Tuesday)

Extreme Weather - American Cricket Ranch will use all know means to insure that your shipment arrives in good condition. In the event of a loss American Cricket Ranch will reship your order free of product charge. (you will be required to pay for the additional shipping cost) Please call 619-561-7327 for alternative methods of shipping if you live in extreme weather areas. Extreme weather areas are defined as above 90 degrees F and below 50 degrees F nighttime. American Cricket Ranch may upgrade your shipping to insure that product arrives safely."

he has the right to not ship if he feels the weather is too extreme. ok it wasn't but still ..if he felt the temps were so extreme he could have not shipped, held off shipping and contacted us concerning the delay (communication). also as stated our temps when delivered were below his 90 degree limit as were the two days prior, since i am assuming he sent them second day from california to texas.
i also stated in the notes of my invoice that he may need to use cool packs (here in texas we will get them with cool packs in them because of the heat.. so this is not an unheard of request) he chose not to. that was his choice not ours.

i still consider according to his terms, a full refund should be given, since we fell under his live arrival guarantee

KelliH

I agree, he should refund you the full amount. That isn't a very good way to gain a new customer. If it were me I would have immediately offered to reship your full order, add some extras, and also pay shipping.

Pro Geckos

professionalreptiles.com
Dang. Sorry to hear that Russ and Robin. I have been in that situation trying to find a good supplier. I finally found one www.sunshinemealworms.com and have been using them for the past 5 years. They guarantee live delivery so if they showed up like these ones just give them a call and a replacement would be on the way.

Ian S.

Wow! only $41.72 out of $104.77. Thats rediculous! The full amount is without a doubt in order, plus some.
Best of luck to ya!

Gregg M

Registered Member
Here is the company I use.... http://www.nyworms.com/index.html They are great.... Never had a single problem with an order.... Orders arrive fast.... Most got her a day after order was processed.... Great customer service.... I even double ordered by mistake once and they took it upon themselves to delete the order made by mistake...

Arconna

I actually had a similar problem with ACR. I order 250 supers and 500 crickets. I thnk about half the crickets were already dead. The supers weren't in terrible shape though. But I also ordered water pillows which never came and I had to wait about 4 days before getting any response on email, which told me they were taped to the side of the box. They weren't, and I had to wait another 4 days before they just showed up in an envelope in the mail. No contact, not saying "sorry about that, they'll be there tomorrow morning". Nothing.

So I'll be trying one of the other mentioned carriers.

Has anyone worked with LLLReptile? They sell all that stuff, just wondering if anyone recommends them...

robin

i normally use grubco and have not had any problems but at the time they were backed up on orders and i needed bugs asap. i would try grubco or reptilefood.com

Arconna

I will give Grubco a shot and see if they are backed up or not. If not I will try that other one or one of hte others mentioned on the site.

Visit our friends