Bad luck with eggs

Star1

In the fall Paisley and Melody bred unexpectedly since I thought Paisley was a female. Only 1 out of 10 eggs hatched- there is 1 left but it's past 60 days so I don't think it's going to hatch. Then in February I purposely bred Paisley with Skittles who is a proven breeder and has done well in the past (I got her from a breeder I trust and have seen some of her off-spring). She's laid 5 eggs so far. First was 1 dead dried up egg- I tried re-hydrating it and incubating it but it got moldy and smelly. The second time she laid was a pair that were stuck together and 1 has molded. I separated them and hopefully the other is ok. She laid a third pair a couple days ago and they are really small and hard, they're almost as hard as chicken eggs but smaller than any leo egg I've seen. I think Paisley is part of the problem since most of the eggs from Melody were bad... I've put Skittles and Jethro together to see if I can get some good eggs from them. Jethro was vibrating his tail like crazy as soon as they were put together! I'm also selling Paisley to someone who doesn't want to breed, I don't want to chance breeding him again and having mostly dead eggs. It's really frustrating! I almost wanted to give up on breeding after all the bad eggs- I was starting to feel like it was a waste, but then an egg hatched (from Melody's fifth pair) so I felt better about it. I absolutely love the little guy/girl!

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Just gotta try to stay positive. It is difficult but once you and your geckos get the procedures down and you get in a groove, it will become a lot more natural. Just hang in there and keep trying. It may help to take meticulous notes of your progress that was you can see what works and what doesn't.

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
It is frustrating. I have one pair that immediately bred, and producing eggs and hatchlings. Another pair finally produced one egg.:D My other two pairs hate each other...LOL!! Ain't it fun?? Like everyone is saying, just hang in there and keep trying.

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
And.......two days ago my Blizzard laid two "flat eggs". I incubated them anyway, until today.... they were plump, but soft, and smelling BAD!!! TOSSED!!!:mad:

Visit our friends