Ball python feeding

The Gecko Person

I am probably getting a ball python the beginning of next year, but the only problem is the price to feed them. I was planning on getting a pair, and I know who i'm buying from. I was going to try to breed mice and rats. How could I put them to sleep without CO2? I dont want to use any chemicals. How do people do that if they don't use carbon dioxide? I like the rodents, and want them to live very happy and have a almost painless death. Thanks, David

maggiee22195

Hey, I know that you want to breed mice an stuff but can I tell you something? It is a lot of work and a lot more money to breed mice/ rats than to buy 2 every other week. I would suggest just buying, because when you have 2 snakes you wont have enough mouths to feed.
But if you want to know how to kill them with little pain, and without chemicals you could try snapping necks. Either twist the neck or snap it back. One way I know a breeder kills hic rats/ mice is buy putting their heads in a pvc plastic tube piece and he just breaks it over the tube. you could also hit their head by throwing the on the ground, but you need to do it hard and fast = instant kill. (most of the time)

These are just some of the ways I have heard people do it. I do not. I know all these ways sound cruel and mean but the most un-cruel way is to snap their neck.

Good Luck!!!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
My son raises a colony of mice for his ball python and it isn't pricy at all, and it certainly isn't hard to maintain. Way cheaper than buying them ever week for sure. We get a bag of squirrel chow mix in 4 cups squirrel chow, 2 cups good quality dog food, 4 cups plain cherrios, 4 cups rolled oats, and 4 cups high end rabbit pellets for their diet and his mice are fat and happy. I think we spend less than $10 a month to maintain his colony, and whatever he has that he doesn't need, he sells back to the pet store so we can get supplies for our other hobbies. It'll be some time before your balls are likely ready to try a rat sized meal.

The best way to kill them is to either take them by the tail and whack their lil heads on a hard surface such as a dresser or desk, or you can take the handle of a hammer and hit them on the back of the neck where the skull and body meet, it instantly "pops" the head off the spine and kills them. My son live feeds for the most part and has only had to kill a couple to feed, his ball prefers the hunt.

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I didn't think you could CO2 an animal intended to be used as a feeder tho because of secondary toxicity.

Khrysty

I didn't think you could CO2 an animal intended to be used as a feeder tho because of secondary toxicity.

Can you link me any information about that? I'd be curious to read it.. Everything I've read seems to point to it being alright. I've never had a problem feeding a Co2'd pinkie...

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I didn't read it anywhere hon, it was something my herp guy who advises us on our snake care told me. Something about the toxins staying in the fatty tissue or something about the toxins produced thru the panic of suffocation, and being ingested by the snake. I never really questioned him in great detail on it, and have never really thought much more on it since Loki prefers live fed. I have also heard from rabbit breeders who sell culls for the meat market that they won't gas their rabbits either, they snap necks. I'll see what I can find for ya.

Last edited:

Khrysty

To the OP: Without CO2, though, your best bet is to snap necks or use the hammer method like Kel mentioned. It's quick and painless if you dislocate the spinal column. Some people drown or freeze them to death, but that seems cruel to me..

Jordan

Hey, I know that you want to breed mice an stuff but can I tell you something? It is a lot of work and a lot more money to breed mice/ rats than to buy 2 every other week. I would suggest just buying, because when you have 2 snakes you wont have enough mouths to feed.

I have over 70 corns and i BUY my food, and if had the time to breed the mice it would be a hell of a lot cheaper.
Breeding the mice, will save you money i reckon you should go for it.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Found this from a feeder breeder "Q: How do you euthanize your feeder animals?
A: We use Carbon dioxide (CO2), as recommended by the American Veterinary Medical Association panel on euthanasia, as the agent to euthanize our feeder animals. CO2 not only ensures a humane, quick and painless death for the animals but also ensures that no harmful residual chemicals remain that may harm the animal ingesting the prey item."

http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_faqs.asp

Ok looks like our guy was wrong. check out page 192 euth of small rodents on this link.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ccRURBiXMHYC&pg=PA192&lpg=PA192&dq=euthanasia+with+CO2+and+secondary+toxicity&source=bl&ots=QLGrSHtJMA&sig=L6by-B39zRBtU2kRGWE8Xzm7ADM&hl=en&ei=tBvCTK7pF4L68AaSt6TXBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CCMQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

also freezing (hypothermia) is not a horrid way to die, you get cold, you fall asleep, you die.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Neither do I hon and we only use it on extremely young rabbits or mice like 2-3 days old and younger.

fl_orchidslave

Found this from a feeder breeder "Q: How do you euthanize your feeder animals?
A: We use Carbon dioxide (CO2), as recommended by the American Veterinary Medical Association panel on euthanasia, as the agent to euthanize our feeder animals. CO2 not only ensures a humane, quick and painless death for the animals but also ensures that no harmful residual chemicals remain that may harm the animal ingesting the prey item."

http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_faqs.asp

Ok looks like our guy was wrong. check out page 192 euth of small rodents on this link.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ccRURBiXMHYC&pg=PA192&lpg=PA192&dq=euthanasia+with+CO2+and+secondary+toxicity&source=bl&ots=QLGrSHtJMA&sig=L6by-B39zRBtU2kRGWE8Xzm7ADM&hl=en&ei=tBvCTK7pF4L68AaSt6TXBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CCMQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

also freezing (hypothermia) is not a horrid way to die, you get cold, you fall asleep, you die.

I'll have to read those links earler in the day when I'm not so tired, thanks for posting Kel. We raise feeder mice and rats but still have to buy some frozens. CO2 is used on them. When we have to kill a rat it gets a good slam on concrete then fed off while its still quiverin. Gross huh. The big snakes go wild with excitement tho. Eh- not my job to handle all that.

Desdemona

I have had mice/rats in the past (as pets) and mice should be pretty cheap, especially if you can get a free tank off someone... a 50 gal tank will have you one super mouse colony in no time, you just want lots of space and hiding places so the males can mark their territory (though the less males the better). They can eat pretty much anything, though there might be a preferred feeder diet. I had quite a few mice in college and I was pretty broke.

Visit our friends