Bearded setup

Shadraak

Will be getting a beardie this weekend. Won a starter kit at narbc last feb. but never set it up til now. I'm gonna get a better stick. And gotta get a less wattage light the one that came with it gets much too hot.

c3d11515.jpg

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Keep the two dishes but bin the rest of the stuff in their. By a bag of play sand or pool filter sand and then go out in to the forests or your back yard etc and collect a bunch of rocks of all shapes and sizes, put the sand in, plonk the rocks in, put your dishes back in and your good to go. Just make sure to scrub and wash the rocks before use.

Feed your beardie/s every other day, give them fresh water daily and remove feces daily and remember to take them outside regularly as although UVA and UVB bulbs are great, they cant compete with the real thing.

Cheers-

Yamori

GeckoCrossing

Keep the two dishes but bin the rest of the stuff in their. By a bag of play sand or pool filter sand and then go out in to the forests or your back yard etc and collect a bunch of rocks of all shapes and sizes, put the sand in, plonk the rocks in, put your dishes back in and your good to go. Just make sure to scrub and wash the rocks before use.

Feed your beardie/s every other day, give them fresh water daily and remove feces daily and remember to take them outside regularly as although UVA and UVB bulbs are great, they cant compete with the real thing.

Cheers-

Yamori

*facepalm* Why are you giving advice when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about? Feed them every other day? Really!? Babies need fed live protein every day, at least once, along with a fresh dish of veggies EVERY DAY. Even sub-adults and full grown adults need fed every day.
And sand is not for beginners, let alone for beardies. Beardies should be kept on a hard packed dry clay ie. ceramic tile. If you wanna go natural then it should have a thin light layer of washed and sifted play sand.

Shadraak

I am by no means a newbie. Just new to dragons. I've had reptiles for the last 15 yrs. I always over research and over think on new species. I keep my milii on sand as well

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
As for helping in OP.
Do not use sand. Although dragons CAN live on sand safely, there is always the risk of accidental impaction. Paper towels can work for now, but they can sometimes be eaten aswell. Buy some natural looking tile from a hardware store.
If you choose to use things you find outside, you need to boil or bake them to kill any potential parasites.
I fed my hatchlings twice a day (protein, and a mixed salad), and gradually cut back to once a day when they got a little older.
My adults now eat a salad every day, and a protein source 2 times a week.
Reptiles are a very common hobby, and unforunately everyone does it differently. There is no 'right' answer, but their are plenty of wrong ones.
Please do your research and don't take every answer your read on here as correct.

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
I do agree with your statement that there is a great deal of bad information around these days, do your research and make decisions based on what you've found but at the end of the day we all do things differently.

Believe what you will regarding sand, i call it paranoia but whatever, bottom line, its bad husbandry that causes impaction.

-

Shadraak

As for helping in OP.
Do not use sand. Although dragons CAN live on sand safely, there is always the risk of accidental impaction. Paper towels can work for now, but they can sometimes be eaten aswell. Buy some natural looking tile from a hardware store.
If you choose to use things you find outside, you need to boil or bake them to kill any potential parasites.
I fed my hatchlings twice a day (protein, and a mixed salad), and gradually cut back to once a day when they got a little older.
My adults now eat a salad every day, and a protein source 2 times a week.
Reptiles are a very common hobby, and unforunately everyone does it differently. There is no 'right' answer, but their are plenty of wrong ones.
Please do your research and don't take every answer your read on here as correct.

Lol. Ty for your words. I guess I'm not as well known on here anymore as I was before. My questions were very specific. And she was given a bowl with 4 supers all day today and still only ate 2. So I answered my own question.

She always has a pile of salad and bd pellets. She will be on tile eventually but not smooth. I never like smooth surfaces for any of my animals.

And I would never only feed her every other day. Only my milii's eat every other day.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Shes very cute!
I agree with the smooth tiles being a problem. You can get a lot of different, fancy types of tile with holes and rough surfaces.

Visit our friends